Moving Tortoise from CA to MA

crazyturtle

Hello, I have a 10 year old Hermanns tortoise that has lived in California's dry climate for its entire life and now we are moving to Massachusetts. I am worried that the climate in MA is going to be too drastically different for him - humid and rainy. Does any one have any thoughts on how a hermanns tortoise will do in MA? I am not against finding him a new home in CA but would really like to keep him, however I don't want the change to be detrimental to his health. If i do move him with us would he have to stay indoors because of the summer rain and humidity? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are many Hermann's keepers on that side of the U.S. He should do just fine. You might try using a dehumidifier at first and slowly acclimate him to a more humid environment.

One of our most well-known Hermanni breeders, HermanniChris, lives in New Jersey, just south of Massachusetts.

crazyturtle

There are many Hermann's keepers on that side of the U.S. He should do just fine. You might try using a dehumidifier at first and slowly acclimate him to a more humid environment.

One of our most well-known Hermanni breeders, HermanniChris, lives in New Jersey, just south of Massachusetts.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think he would be able to stay outside in the summer?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm not in MA, but have the same summer issue of rain & unstable temps. Several things work in combination: a waterproof house that can be a night box, taking the animal in and out as weather permits, and covering the habitat (think hoop house) to stabilize night time temps and keep the habitat from getting too wet. This means evaluating the weather and being ready to act promptly.

My hermann's likes a little rain. She's outside today after almost a week of thunderstorms.

crazyturtle

I'm not in MA, but have the same summer issue of rain & unstable temps. Several things work in combination: a waterproof house that can be a night box, taking the animal in and out as weather permits, and covering the habitat (think hoop house) to stabilize night time temps and keep the habitat from getting too wet. This means evaluating the weather and being ready to act promptly.

My hermann's likes a little rain. She's outside today after almost a week of thunderstorms.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm beginning to feel more optimistic about moving him!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
If you go to my site www.hermannihaven.com I explain how we do things here in NJ with our Hermann's tortoises. Hopefully it helps you to understand a little bit about dealing with the climate here in the northeast.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yep, even my russian like a little rain! I think she'll do just fine, provided a nice, heated hide house :D

turtlemanfla88

I keep Russians in Florida and a lot people fail with because they put them outside and think they can handle our rainy season just like that. I took ten years longer than most people would take to get them used to the weather. They do have a house ,but somtimes digs under one of the native grasses in their enclosure.

crazyturtle

I keep Russians in Florida and a lot people fail with because they put them outside and think they can handle our rainy season just like that. I took ten years longer than most people would take to get them used to the weather. They do have a house ,but somtimes digs under one of the native grasses in their enclosure.
Thanks!