Moving with reptiles

Terran

Hello!

My name is Tara and I am from Michigan. I have a male and female three-toed box turtle who's egg just started hatching yesterday. I decided to join Tortoise Forum because I am sure I will have many questions on raising a hatchling. I also have a 5 year old Sulcata tortoise, a river cooter, and a few other reptiles. I am making a 13 hour move next week (by car) and was wondering if anybody here has any advice for transporting reptiles on such a journey, especially a very young box turtle. With cold temperatures, bumpy roads, and the length of the trip, I am concerned for my pets and would love any advice!
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 63

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tara, and welcome to the Forum!

There's a product called "Hot Hands" . It's a hand/foot warming product that's sold in most pharmacies and sporting goods stores. Here's a link so you know what you're looking for:

http://www.hothandsdirect.com/

My suggestion is to pack the tortoise in a small box just slightly bigger than he is and fill is with shredded newspaper. You can line a couple of hot hands up on the walls inside the box.

The water turtle can also be packed in a box, but make it a plastic box and pack it with moist sphagnum moss and the Hot Hands.

The little packets get quite hot, so you want to make sure there is enough insulating material between the animal and the product.

Good luck with your move. Terrible time/weather to be moving house.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tara welcome to the TFO from AZ
And as for the move if you listen to
Yvonne she's good people and she knows a lot about turtles and torts .
Were in Mich. Are you from ? I'm
From Saginaw or at least that's were I
Was born .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). I used too live in Michigan, born and raised:D. I moved out quite sometime ago. Thirteen hours, hmmm possibly moving too a warmer state? Good luck on your move.

Oh, that baby butt shot is adorable.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, at least with the hatchling, if you pack him up like if you were gonna ship him, he'll survive the trip. The 5 year old sully may be a little tricky. How much does he weigh? Make sure when you pack him up that you tape his legs together so that he doesn't move more than he has to. I would use an insulated box with the hand warmers like Yvonne said. Also, remember to soak your animals in warm water after you arrive at your new home. They're gonna need it. Best to you and keep us posted of the outcome.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Tort hobble? How does one tape their legs?!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Haven't you ever received a tortoise by Fed-X? You can use packing tape that will be strong enough to hold together, yet gentle enough to take off. I've received small torts that way. I can assure you, it's totally safe and preferred by many breeders.
AnnV said:
Tort hobble? How does one tape their legs?!

Terran

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Tara welcome to the TFO from AZ
And as for the move if you listen to
Yvonne she's good people and she knows a lot about turtles and torts .
Were in Mich. Are you from ? I'm
From Saginaw or at least that's were I
Was born .

Thanks for the help! I am from the Metro Detroit area

Terran

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for the advice. I am sorry I took so long to reply, but I just figured out how to view my old posts. The 13 hr. drive became more of a 18 hr drive, but luckily all of the animals did very well. I loved the idea of using hot hands to keep them warm - I ended up making my own by stuffing rice in cotton beanbags and warming them in gas station microwaves whenever we stopped. Everyone is now happily set up in their enclosures.

Again, thank you so much!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Make sure you keep that baby warm and wet and post pics as often as possible. Mine are all so grown up now. The smallest is already 7 grams!!! LOL. They stay tiny for what seems like forever and then one day you look and they start growing like weeds. After a good soak, drop a few baby crickets in with him and watch the fun. It is very entertaining, not for the crickets, but for the turtle and the watcher.

Terran

Saleama said:
Make sure you keep that baby warm and wet and post pics as often as possible. Mine are all so grown up now. The smallest is already 7 grams!!! LOL. They stay tiny for what seems like forever and then one day you look and they start growing like weeds. After a good soak, drop a few baby crickets in with him and watch the fun. It is very entertaining, not for the crickets, but for the turtle and the watcher.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely post more pictures of the baby soon!