Moving with Sulcata (also introducing myself)

JamesWilliams

Hi guys Im James, former military, early 30s and new to the site, I had Dino since all my life (my parents got him for my sister before i was born but i can't recall her ever liking him) only not having him with me when i lived in barracks or deployed. Im moving from Texas to Arizona, Dino has always lived outside only coming inside the colder nights of winter in the states we lived before. Now I'm out the Army, we decided to permanently move AZ, my wife found beautiful big house for rent at a great price until we familiarize with the area and decide where we want to buy, the catch is that we got a great deal as long as we stay a year (not a problem pretty common a 12 month lease) and that there is AZ desert tortoise already living in the backyard and the landlord want us to take care of it because according to him AZ has huge trouble housing captive desert tortoise because over population of pets torts (he knew we have Dino and a little Russian named Natasha). My question is, can i have both species living together in the backyard (the yard is huge)? there is a burrow in a corner so that the tort can hide away from the heat and cold as well as hibernating, will i have to make another one for Dino even tho he doesn't hibernate? will he try to bother the hibernating tort during the winter? will there be fighting?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello James
Thank you for your service . And welcome to AZ . I been here about30 years from MI . Try to find a house in the streets not the Ave's . And yes you should seperate the Russian tort from the Desert tort .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472084467.979858.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First of all thank, you for your service. My hand is over my heart and hat is off to you.

Next: Hello and welcome!

Your questions:
1a. Species should never be mixed. You will definitely need to close off an area for the desert tortoise. The problem is that the desert tortoise has been roaming that yard and any "bugs" he's been carrying are all over that yard. Your beloved Dino is at risk if you put him in that yard. Its a gamble. Tortoises from different continents develop resistance to their particular pathogens, while foreign pathogens from similar species can kill them. I'm sorry to say that I would look for another property that is not infected with native tortoise germs and parasites. Doesn't matter how long that guy has been back there or how healthy he seems. Doesn't matter if a vet looks at him and says he looks good. I would never put one of my sulcatas in that yard. If you choose to ignore this advice, just realize that you are taking a risk. Literally risking Dino's life. Many of us have lost entire collections of tortoises due to this subject. We talk about it here on the forum regularly. I'm happy to explain further if you need it.

1b. Yes. There would almost certainly be fighting, and very likely killing. Sulcata males do not like other tortoises in their territories and neither do desert torts. These are two of the three most scrappy, territorial species. Russians being the third.

2. Your tropical tortoise will need a burrow to escape the intense AZ mid day summer heat, and then a heated box to escape the cooler days and nights of winter. My climate is similar, and I let them burrow all summer, but then I block off the burrow in fall and make them use their heated houses.

Burrows: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/
You might have to start a burrow for him in an area where YOU want him to dig. If you don't, he will likely dig at a fence or near the house foundation, which could be disastrous.

Heated houses for cool nights and winter:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Be aware that there are people in AZ who just leave their sulcatas outside over winter and the tortoises survive. Who you don't hear from is all the people whose tortoises died from the cold.

3. Here are a couple of threads that might offer some tips and food ideas for your tortoise:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Your sulcata isn't young, but there is a list of good foods.

4. Now I have a question. Are you sure you've had this tortoise for 30 years? That would mean that your family got it in 1986, right? This is possible, but unlikely. I would love to see pics and learn more. The very first captive breeding of this species was in 1979 at the San Antonio Zoo. They were not widely available to the public until the early 90s'. So if your family got one that early on, its a pretty rare and special thing. Any info or pics you would like to share would be welcome. I've always been fascinated with the early sulcatas and its a rare treat to meet another one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I agree about not mixing species. I also agree I would love to see pictures of Dino!

JamesWilliams

thank you, ill upload an image later and will double check with my parents when i call, i might be mistaking but i know he's been around since i can remember

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Antoher tx man right on!!!! Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you, ill upload an image later and will double check with my parents when i call, i might be mistaking but i know he's been around since i can remember

Well even if he is only 25, that is still really really cool, and it will make him one of the oldest sulcatas in North America.

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi all this is my bro had her from baby fit in the palm off is hand now 25 years Old in uk. image.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi guys Im James, former military, early 30s and new to the site, I had Dino since all my life (my parents got him for my sister before i was born but i can't recall her ever liking him) only not having him with me when i lived in barracks or deployed. Im moving from Texas to Arizona, Dino has always lived outside only coming inside the colder nights of winter in the states we lived before. Now I'm out the Army, we decided to permanently move AZ, my wife found beautiful big house for rent at a great price until we familiarize with the area and decide where we want to buy, the catch is that we got a great deal as long as we stay a year (not a problem pretty common a 12 month lease) and that there is AZ desert tortoise already living in the backyard and the landlord want us to take care of it because according to him AZ has huge trouble housing captive desert tortoise because over population of pets torts (he knew we have Dino and a little Russian named Natasha). My question is, can i have both species living together in the backyard (the yard is huge)? there is a burrow in a corner so that the tort can hide away from the heat and cold as well as hibernating, will i have to make another one for Dino even tho he doesn't hibernate? will he try to bother the hibernating tort during the winter? will there be fighting?

Please separate your torts asap, so as to avoid bullying, and give them daily soaks in warm water.

I'd suggest indoor enclosures, where torts are safer and warmer.;)

Look forward to pics of your torts, :D and....

A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort: