Mr. Mister

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
Remember them?.....Yeah we're all trying to forget.

Anyway,

I recently took Kelly's advice and glued up a 5 nozzle Mister strip for my Red Foot. This is the home depot PVC setup with brass nozzles and it works really well. The only problem is when I try to hook up one of those inline hose timers (see attachment). It seems the little solenoid inside can't compete with the back pressure. So it never turns off. Anyone have a similar experience?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I am just now having these problems with my timer. My mister was on all night last night. Funny you just started this thread. I had no problems what so ever literally until this morning. Probably just smart to buy new system every year i guess.

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
I am just now having these problems with my timer. My mister was on all night last night. Funny you just started this thread. I had no problems what so ever literally until this morning. Probably just smart to buy new system every year i guess.

The timing is very weird! My timer is a couple years old and it's a common problem with these I think. But they aren't cheap, so I'm pretty bummed.

Any sort of commercial solution is very involved and expensive :(

Thanks Kelly

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
Surely there is a DIY way:p

Yeah there must be. The problem is that retail grade stuff is not built to last. The solenoid valve has to be tough to deal with the pressure, the Texas heat and so on. So if I could find something a bit tougher, I would be happy.

Patrick

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What I use in the greenhouse is just 1" PVC with irrigation sprinkler heads upside down on a programmed control valve. BUT this uses a lot of water, like 1000 gallons a week, which is why I recommend the mister ordeal in outside use. Saves on water.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ATXTortoises said:
AustinASU said:
Surely there is a DIY way:p

Yeah there must be. The problem is that retail grade stuff is not built to last. The solenoid valve has to be tough to deal with the pressure, the Texas heat and so on. So if I could find something a bit tougher, I would be happy.

Patrick

Do you have an irrigation specialty store in your area? They usually carry higher grade equipment than you would find at Home Depot or Lowes.

Not sure what area of TX you're in, but it looks like Ewing has a few locations in TX as well as Horizon. I'm sure there are mom and pop stores around there too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use one similar to those. I haven't had an issue in the 6 months in use during the hottest part of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.