Mr. Munster Hermann's daily diet

Blkjkoknhrt

So I first want to excuse myself for feeding grocery foods, but here in Canada it's me or some other bloke taking care of this hatchling...don't judge, just opinionate and suggest...be gentle.

Munster gets a variety of grocery greens and more and more of homegrown weeds and leaves from approved plants.

Foods include: bok choy, dandelion (homegrown and store bought), kale, radish tops, chickweed, African violet flowers, nasturtium leaves, another darn choy, radicchio and a romaine treat once a week.

Lights go on at 4am and Munster gets moving sometimes by 4:30, sometimes sleeps til I leave at 7am.
I work mon, tue, thur and fri, and that gives me several days a week to examine my 'lil freind and his set up. On work days, Munster gets 3 - 7 g of mixed greens over 5 to 7am, along with a near-daily supplement. (calcium carb & ground cuttlebone, then Repashy Calcium Plus, then Herptivite. My practice is very little at a time, often. Even tortoises don't like gritty or medicine-Y food).
Days off are fun. I take the 7 g of food and spread it out all day to keep him grazing and awake. He finds foods in all quadrants of his table, with the occasional shower to cool off in.

Bedtime is between 2 and 4 pm, and heat and lights go off at 7pm.temps drop across the board to 70-73F by 4am

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 28

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, your tortoises very pretty. Grocery store greens are not evil. I started out when I first got my tortoise feeding nothing but grocery store greens. I don't know the names of many plants and weeds. But over the last three years I have steadily increase the variety, I have bought seed mixes specifically for my tortoise, and I continue to add more and more variety. You will too. And it sounds like you are feeding a wide variety. Spring will be here someday :) and more weeds will come up. You can always buy seed mixes to grow indoors in the winter. I can't believe I am now happy when dandelions come up, but I was thrilled to find five of them in my yard yesterday. And my tortoise loved them.

Blkjkoknhrt

Thanks, I think he's pretty too! LOL. I'm working on growing weeds an have spent enough to grow weeds to feed Munster grocery greens all summer! Oh, well, it will pay off eventually...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I buy store greens in the winter too. You do what you have to do :) I have tried growing weeds indoors but I kill everything.... sounds like you have a good routine.

Blkjkoknhrt

Heh, that's right, not everybuddy's green. I can't seem to feed the plants I grow - they're pets too of a type! Once I have lots it'll be easier.