Dsanborn1

Location (City and/or State)
Midway
We have, some type of, California Desert Tortoise that has recently been injured. For some time, not sure how long, he was stuck with a lead/rope around his front arm that was left on a chair in the yard after a dog bath. Somehow the tortoise had managed to get it so tightly wrapped around his upper right arm, that it cut off the circulation and caused nerve damage. He is now limping and dragging his upper arm. Sometimes it gets stuck under his shell and he has a hard time gettin around. ☹

We have taken him to the vet ($500❗) to get X-Rays and I believe a set of ani-inflammatory shots, along with an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected. The X-Rays showed no bone damage, and the Vet. was able to determine that he had no feeling in that arm by poking him without a reaction. I can see when I look at it closely that it is very bruised and purple all the way around his shoulder area.

We are very unsure of what to do and hoping that he eventually gains feeling in his leg again. The Vet was an awful experience with no results and they were very rough with him. We do not prefer to take him back to that office and do not know w who else to reach out to.

If someone can please share some advice, a place to go within 15 miles of Santa Ana, CA., similar experiences, or a solution to any of his issues that would be most appreciated!!

If and when possible, I will update this with photos and a video of Mr. T’s Movement.

PamelaIrene

Location (City and/or State)
Costa Mesa, CA
We have, some type of, California Desert Tortoise that has recently been injured. For some time, not sure how long, he was stuck with a lead/rope around his front arm that was left on a chair in the yard after a dog bath. Somehow the tortoise had managed to get it so tightly wrapped around his upper right arm, that it cut off the circulation and caused nerve damage. He is now limping and dragging his upper arm. Sometimes it gets stuck under his shell and he has a hard time gettin around. ☹

We have taken him to the vet ($500❗) to get X-Rays and I believe a set of ani-inflammatory shots, along with an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected. The X-Rays showed no bone damage, and the Vet. was able to determine that he had no feeling in that arm by poking him without a reaction. I can see when I look at it closely that it is very bruised and purple all the way around his shoulder area.

We are very unsure of what to do and hoping that he eventually gains feeling in his leg again. The Vet was an awful experience with no results and they were very rough with him. We do not prefer to take him back to that office and do not know w who else to reach out to.

If someone can please share some advice, a place to go within 15 miles of Santa Ana, CA., similar experiences, or a solution to any of his issues that would be most appreciated!!

If and when possible, I will update this with photos and a video of Mr. T’s Movement.
Hello, I have had a similar experience with our Desert Tortoise, who got her front leg stuck in the compost bin and was hanging upside down for who knows how long.. has probably nerve damage or tendons in her wrist. It's not looking any better after three weeks now.. Took her to
All Creatures Care Cottage
601 W 19th Street Ste.200
Costa Mesa, Vs 92627
949-642-7151
They were VERY nice and gave me medicine for pain but said it is going to take a long time to heal. No x-rays were taken. So I really don't know it's broken, I don't have the money for that.. .

zovick

10 Year Member!

There is a good exotics vet at VCA Animal Hospital in Los Angeles. Her name is Dr. Laila Proenca. She is the head of their exotics programs in southern CA. She has treated my tortoises here in GA before she moved to CA to take the job with VCA a few years ago