Mr. T (how much should he eat?)

Kim444

5 Year Member
Hi all, just an update that my newly adopted 3 yr old greek is doing well. He is now on coco coir, eating dandelions(no more romaine) and thriving. He is awake and active from about 10am to 7pm with some tort naps in between. Now that those things have been rectified I have some new questions.

How much does a tort eat in a day, he is really chowing down those dandelion leaves, like he ate 4 huge leaves today and a little bit of cuttle bone.

Mr.T is a 3 yr old male Greek tortoise, how long until he is full grown/adult?

yillt

Sorry. I am not a Greek expert. But I am glad Mr T is doing well. Eating alot is quite normal. My tortoise eats any food I give him even if it is his 4th portion that day.

Kim444

5 Year Member
Ok good to know, thanks. Hoping someone with chime in about when he will be full grown

Kim444

5 Year Member
And at this age, should I still be soaking him?

yillt

Yes. If you have the time soak away. I soak mine and he is three to. I soak him about three times a week but two or one will do. As long as they are quite long. You definitely need to soak if they eat something bad. :);)

yillt

Normal time for a baby is about 20 mins and for a three year old is however long you want. Make it ten minutes at least. But remember bathing is essential I know someone that bathes an 80 year old tortoise. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's more volume than time. Work on a pile of food roughly the size of his shell per day, but don't fret if he eats less or wants more. As for how long until he is full grown: that depends... diet and conditions mean that every tort grows at a different rate.

Right now, I am doing battle with my mature (50 yr old) Greek. The cherries are in season and it's a race to get to the windfalls before he does. Dandelions alone are not a good diet. He needs a variety of greens. Romaine can form part of that diet, butshould not be the majority.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
A varied diet is best, but dandelions are pretty damn good if it's going to be limited to just one thing for some reason.