Mr T My Russian Tortise

RandB

Location (City and/or State)
Easton Conn
My Tortise Was Outside for about 5 hrs.It was about 82 .1-5 pm. On the Grass in a Open Pen.His Body was Completely retracted.when We went to bring him in.Put him in the Sink with Cool water.Unfortunally he never Recovered. I Can only believe he became over heated and Died as a .result He did have a Large Bowl of Water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Tortoises need to have shade available while outside, never just sun.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
My Tortise Was Outside for about 5 hrs.It was about 82 .1-5 pm. On the Grass in a Open Pen.His Body was Completely retracted.when We went to bring him in.Put him in the Sink with Cool water.Unfortunally he never Recovered. I Can only believe he became over heated and Died as a .result He did have a Large Bowl of Water.
How heartbreaking! So sorry for your loss.

RandB

Easton Conn
My Tortise had a incredible personality following the Dogs Around he followed everyone arround.Never New a Tortoise Could be so affectionate.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Really sad, I put mine out with shade and ventilation and regularly check temps with heat temp gun. I agree they win our affection and i am sure he will be sorely missed. Sorry for your loss,

RandB

Easton Conn
My Tortise had a incredible personality. Hung out with The Dogs and Cats No one Bothered Him Actually would eat out of the Dog Bowl while they were Eating.Was Wondering if Anyone else had had Similar experiences.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
You were lucky as tortoise are not community players. Dogs can flip, bite and are bigger. Cats have sharp claws and tortoise poo everywhere and have a strong bite. For 99% on here we keep tortoise separated so they can thrive and be safe. If you get a replacement you may not have the same status quo.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Tortise had a incredible personality following the Dogs Around he followed everyone arround.Never New a Tortoise Could be so affectionate.
I am sorry that your tortoise died. However, following the dogs around was not from affection, but rather, he was trying to get rid of them, and a tortoise, especially a small one, should never be with dogs as they can and will kill him sooner or later. Stay here, you are welcome to learn more about tortoises and maybe when you know more and are able to keep one safely, you can get another one and try again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, that's so hard to bear. I'm very sorry this happened. Just an FYI, in the wild a tortoise will sit in the sun until his inner core temperature is raised enough to digest his food, then he moves out of the sun and seeks shade. Most of the time that would be in a burrow, or under a low hanging bush. If you decide to get another tortoise, be sure to go to our Species Specific section and read about the different species of tortoise. There are care sheets for almost every species towards the tops of each section.