Mr.Turtles New Home **PICTURE HEAVY ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jc918

5 Year Member
Ok so Mr.Turtle got a NEW home. I just got him about 9 days ago and stuck him in a 40 gallon aquarium. EVERYONE told me aquariums where bad so I upgraded him to this new home SEE Photos below.

It's 4 feet long and a foot and half deep. It has a upper level and a viewing window on the front of the box. Mr.Turtle can hide under the ramp or in the log leading up to the ramp to the second floor. I am using cypress mulch from home depot it was on sale for $3.00 for a HUGE bag. The total cost for Mr.Turtles new home was $60.00 What does everyone think ? Is this a suitable home ?

Also Mr.Turtle is still NOT eating or moving around much. I thought he would be happy in his new home and I would see a change but nothing.

Today I got a 150 w heat bulb I honestly think it will be too cold in the tank since it's higher without the 150 currently the temperature in his new home is 78.4. I just put the new bulb in about a hour ago so I don't think it's at it's hottest point yet. Also got him some new photos see the photos below.

cid09c8cadae1624549bcb1.jpg

cid0f96c362b9df41a8b1da.jpg

cid7f30e58f7e7248edb6ec.jpg

p6050213.jpg

p6050226.jpg

p6050224.jpg

p6050233.jpg

p6050228.jpg

MR.TURTLES OLD HOME <<<<<<<<<<< O L D H O M E

p5310207.jpg

khanvict

5 Year Member
good job, that looks great! you work fast. that would've taken me forever!

Jc918

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone It honestly didn't take that long. Me and my wife got the job done in less then 6 hours and we have NEVER built anything before khanvict I am sure you good do it in less then a day . I am hoping to see him eat it's been about 5 days since he has I took him out for a walk today and that put a bit of spark in him.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks good! I'm sure he's happier already. :)

Maybe you should point the heat lamp at the second floor? You aren't looking to get the whole enclosure hot... You just want one spot that gets into the 90s, where he can go to "warm up" (so to speak).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Nice job!!!.... Love the " viewing window".. Does he have to pay extra rent for the loft?:p
JD~:)

Jc918

5 Year Member
Thanks. Mr.Turtle has been eating : ) And seems a bit more happy now. He still is not moving around much.

S

Scooter

Looks great! I'm sure he will be much happy once he gets all settled in :D

M

Maggie Cummings

They don't move around a whole lot in a habitat like that. If he was outside I think he would be more active. I don't mean any disrespect, I have 30 or so turtles and tortoises and inside they are settled in and sleepy... outside they dig and walk around and graze. He looks relaxed in his picture and I am glad he's eating for you. We told you so! Are you feeding him those crappy pellets from his old house? :)

Jc918

5 Year Member
Well he wont eat anything but Romain lettuce and yellow peppers. I don't think the new home made a difference. I just wish he would eat something different and move around

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've shown two pictures of manufactured tortoise food. Neither one of them is a good food for your tortoise. The first one is for tortoises who live in the forest, which your Russian tortoise does not. The other one is probably just as bad. I would toss both of those foods and try to get him to eat dark, leafy greens.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
i agree, those foods arent the best. the later food might not be that bad if given once a month as a snack. i feed my russians a mixture of dark greens daily. Twice a week I mix some greens and cactus with some tortoise food from turtlesource.com. all my torts love that food mixture. im not sure what it is, but they love it and its full of great nutrients (so it says). enclosure looks awesome! window is a fantastic idea, its nice to actually enjoy watching him at eye level instead of looking down from above...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What foods are you offering him out of which he only eat the romaine and peppers? Please list them so we can suggest more and comments. We want your tortoise to be happy and healthy. Great job on the table! What kind of weather do you have, and do you have a yard? I agree that an outdoor tortoise thrives. What is your temperature gradient now in the new home? If too warm or cold, he won't eat much.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Maybe try some edible blooms to get him started eating new things. I was just thinking maybe the colors might make him want to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.