Mulberry Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I know this will sound wierd, but does anyone have mulberry trees? The reason I ask is hubby won't let me plant mulberry trees in my yard and I would like some mulberry leaves to feed to my torts. So I was wondering if you would mind sending me some if I sent you a postage paid envelope or bag.

Thanks in advance...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have multiple mulberries. Actually if you live on small lot your husband is right. They attract birds and after eating the berries they leave nice purple presents. I'd be glad to sent you some but I don't know how well they'd ship being fresh greens. Another plant you may want to consider growing for your torts are concord grapes, they're almost bullet proof.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
You could ship them via priority mail, with a damp paper towel in a ziploc bag. :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will have to try the grapes, I could probabley plant those in the boxies pens. But if you PM me your address I could send you the bag for shipping and then you can do what Anja said.

EDIT: Typo

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
You might also want to try planting fruitless mulberry trees in large planters.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
the house i used to rent had a huge mulberry tree out front. an endless supply of tort food.
too bad i don't live there anymore :(

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't mind the fruit cause the boxes will eat it. My hubby doesn't want all the leaves on the ground in the winter. Mean hubby :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Jen, it's going to be a month or so before the trees leave out. Do you have any trees? You can always heap the leaves in your boxies pen and tell him the sulcatas will eat all the fallen leaves (in 20 years or so). The grape leaves are great for feeding torts and I think your boxies may them too.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am disappointed, I went to the nursery by my house, No mulberries, no grape vines, but they had optunia. Anyone know where to get some??

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Where do you live? Lowes in my area has concord grapes. The mulberrie may be more difficult as they are not popular. I think Stark Bros. nursery in Missouri may have them, this is a mail order nursery.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I just looked at the Gurney site and they have both mulberries and concord grapes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen right now in CA Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot and Lowes are all carrying different varieties of Grapes, succulents, geraniums, hybiscus and other tort friendly food plants (after it has been de-cemicalized (is that even a word?). You may be able to order them on line it may be less expensive than a nursery.
I know what your Hubby means about the leaves. My land lord cut down a very, very large, old fruitless mulberry that covered my house all summer. I hated cleaning up the tons of leaves. Much more than my torts could eat. But a couple of my friends have trees and said I can pic all I want & they do not use chemicals or pesticides, so now I have an endless supply and no clean-up the best of both worlds. They are just starting to bud out here. If you need more let me know.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will check out lowes and home depot, I have plants in there already, but I always love to add more for variety.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Mullberry's actually will root quite well off of branch stalks if cut at the neck of a split on an angle, then wrap the cut end in a cheesecloth type cloth soaked with rooting hormone/enhancer stuff.. within a few days it'll show signs of rooting, stick it in some compost and peat moss till it gets a better hold then move it where you like ;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
bdoyle said:
Mullberry's actually will root quite well off of branch stalks if cut at the neck of a split on an angle, then wrap the cut end in a cheesecloth type cloth soaked with rooting hormone/enhancer stuff.. within a few days it'll show signs of rooting, stick it in some compost and peat moss till it gets a better hold then move it where you like ;)

Great info thanks Blair.

Status
Not open for further replies.