Mulberry leaves!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
Hello all! I'm searching for my tortoises mulberry leaves! So I found these 2 different types of leaves! Google lens give me the same name and I don't know what's the right one! Please if anyone knows let me know! Also I see my Danny walking better now but I haven't seen any rock yet in feces! I'm so busy this summer and I want to check him again! X-Ray and feces sample!thank you!

Attachments

• 20240613_160912.jpg
    20240613_160912.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240613_155218.jpg
    20240613_155218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! I'm searching for my tortoises mulberry leaves! So I found these 2 different types of leaves! Google lens give me the same name and I don't know what's the right one! Please if anyone knows let me know! Also I see my Danny walking better now but I haven't seen any rock yet in feces! I'm so busy this summer and I want to check him again! X-Ray and feces sample!thank you!
Both are mulberry leaves. There are at least two type of mulberry tree. Morus alba, and Morus rubra. The leaves look just like your pictures. Both are great tortoise food.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Both are mulberry leaves. There are at least two type of mulberry tree. Morus alba, and Morus rubra. The leaves look just like your pictures. Both are great tortoise food.
Thank you because the first type Google lens was saying it was sycamore and the fruit is fig and I was confused! I feed my tortoises in a daily basis hibiscus,cactus,chicory flower,mexican petunia,2 times per week cucumber and dandelions flower! I can't find leaves generally from nature! Can they live with this diet? Also I give them 2 times per week grassland food! In winter I will plant another foods!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
They are the same and could have come from the same tree. The mulberry trees I have growing have multiple shaped leaves on each tree. I was told they are white mulberry trees.
Ok I will try tomorrow to feed them! First time! I hope they like it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you because the first type Google lens was saying it was sycamore and the fruit is fig and I was confused! I feed my tortoises in a daily basis hibiscus,cactus,chicory flower,mexican petunia,2 times per week cucumber and dandelions flower! I can't find leaves generally from nature! Can they live with this diet? Also I give them 2 times per week grassland food! In winter I will plant another foods!
The leaves and stems from the dandelions and chicory are better food than the flowers.

Try to add in more variety. The mulberry leaves are a good start.

Don't expect your tortoise to eat anything new the first time it sees it. Most new foods require a lengthy introduction process.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
The leaves and stems from the dandelions and chicory are better food than the flowers.

Try to add in more variety. The mulberry leaves are a good start.

Don't expect your tortoise to eat anything new the first time it sees it. Most new foods require a lengthy introduction process.
Thank you but the leaves that I find in dandelions and chicory are like infected! With black holes or brown! In winter I will plant dandelions and hollyhock! Also I find evening primrose to feed them from nature!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't know how to attach a link but if you go to the Russian tortoise stickies and read the article at the bottom of the list you will see that in the wild Russian's eat plants that are on almost every do not feed list. Buttercup's is one of them.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Oh
I don't know how to attach a link but if you go to the Russian tortoise stickies and read the article at the bottom of the list you will see that in the wild Russian's eat plants that are on almost every do not feed list. Buttercup's is one of them.
I didn't know it! I find leaves from dandelions and chicory but they look like infected and I'm afraid to feed them! I have to plant in winter!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you but the leaves that I find in dandelions and chicory are like infected! With black holes or brown! In winter I will plant dandelions and hollyhock! Also I find evening primrose to feed them from nature!
Also, hibiscus should grow fine in Greece climate. Even potted gives many leaves and flowers. Capers bush is growing natively and from the information I was able to find - safe to feed as a part of diet.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Also, hibiscus should grow fine in Greece climate. Even potted gives many leaves and flowers. Capers bush is growing natively and from the information I was able to find - safe to feed as a part of diet.
Hello my friend! All these food I collect them from nature and I always wash them! When I find dandelions leaves and chicory leaves I see them like infected! Black holes and brown like rusty! I don't want to feed that! That's why I Will plant in winter dandelions leaves! I feed them flowers! I hope not to face problem until winter because I can't find leaves in good condition! Also I collect cuttlebone from beach and I give them in food as powder!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You are lucky to have dandelions in summer :) Look for leaves with holes from insects - if they eat it, likely it's safe. Brown leaves are likely on the plants dying of heat. I think you may try and dig out some of these plants with roots and try to grow them. With proper care and watering, there is a chance they will grow back.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
You are lucky to have dandelions in summer :) Look for leaves with holes from insects - if they eat it, likely it's safe. Brown leaves are likely on the plants dying of heat. I think you may try and dig out some of these plants with roots and try to grow them. With proper care and watering, there is a chance they will grow back.
I asked an expert and she to plant from October dandelions and hollyhocks! Ok I Will try for this too! Thank you 😊