Mulberry trees prohibited in Albuquerque

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Out of interest what other tortoise food plants are banned in New Mexico, or elsewhere?

Alaskamike

South Florida
I think if you look at the State Websites, there are lists of banned plants in many states. Often due to what are considered invasive species, or some that carry diseases, insects or parasites damaging to local crops/plants or animals. Hawaii for instance has very strict plant import regulations as it is an Island chain, and plants and animals can do great damage to the environment. Florida, where I live is very careful too - trying to protect the citrus crops mainly.

If something is not native to your area, not sold in nurseries locally, and you plan on ordering it off the internet I would check out the State website first, or call the local forestry service, horticulture agent, etc. They will set you straight.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
[QUOTE="Will, post: 1121249, member:

Or you could plant a grape vine, nearly the same for quality food. I'm planting some myself as well as placing mulberry strategically in open space near my home.[/QUOTE]

yes I have 3 grapevines and my tortoise loves the leaves...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Perhaps you could find a grandfathered mulberry tree and offer to trim the branches for free.