mullberry tree leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
OMG! My friend was talking. about her 3 large mulberry trees at her new home. She rakes and rakes and rakes all the leaves! I mention I thought my torts could eat the leaves. So I went over and grabed a Few to take home.Well my redfoots thought it was "crack!" I need to get more. The leaves are now yellow. Do you thi nk it has the same benifits as a fresh green ones?
Sorry if this doesnt make sense. My sleep meds kick in and I lose control. I just wanted to shar tnat my RF loves them!!.i took video of it as well ,,

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mulberry leaves have a higher nutritional value in spring than in autumn. But their value either time is well worth letting them gorge on them--in addition to their varied diet that is ;)

arotester

5 Year Member
They contain various minerals and extracts, such as beta-carotene, GABA-1, amino acids, carotenoids, flavonoids, chlorophyll, vitamin C, B1, B2, B6, A and they are rich in fiber.They are also good source of cal but the problem is that the leaves are not available throughout the year.
Bottom line is you can feed them to your tort but as long as they are green(make it as a part of varied diet)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only feed the green leaves. Mine love them too. I don't know what the nutritional differences are, but it would make sense to me that as they age and yellow the would,lose nutritional value. Just wait until spring rolls around and the green leaves come back!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
The mineral and fiber will stay, but I think most of the vitamin will be gone. It's still okay to feed them though.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is perfectly fine to feed the dried leaves, as mentioned, the mineral content is fantastic and that does not diminish much...there is actually very little fiber content to begin with (green or dried matter) however, the dry matter offers a higher fiber content actually than when they are green :D

They are actually best noted for their mineral content, palatability and their digestion rate (70-80%)...which is great--so the fiber, minerals and their digestion rate are actually a good thing to add to their diet...

You can also collect a mess of the dried leaves and just plop em in their indoor enclosure--they will likely run a muck in them, on them and all the while munching them at their leisure....;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This fall I collected and dried bags of mulberry leaves to feed during the winter. It's like feeding hay rather then fresh grass, not as good value but still good food. Congrats on such a value packed find!! :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea about the nutritional value in them. I learn so much from you guys. I found a few green leaves so that's what I grabbed for them. I love adding new foods to their diet. I was just so excited on how quickly they ran up to me when I put them down on their dish. I have video of it. Thank goodness I didn't try to upload it last night. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.