Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is horrid. Why did you feel the need to post about this 17 year old horrific crime on a tortoise forum? We all know that bad things happen in the world, but I certainly don't want to read about it here. This literally made me sick to my stomach.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Roachman26 said:
This is horrid. Why did you feel the need to post about this 17 year old horrific crime on a tortoise forum? We all know that bad things happen in the world, but I certainly don't want to read about it here. This literally made me sick to my stomach.

Tom, I am so sorry. There was a recent development, and I was curious what people's thoughts were on the "life license" of such people. I agree completely that it is a horrible crime. I am sorry. What me to delete this?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so they let the murdering bastards out on some type of life release? I honestly do not know what to do with 2 ten year olds who do that. Pardon my language

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I had only to glance at the name to remember the complete story.

My daughter Emily was also born in 1990, and that is the kind of crime that stops the heart of all parents...

I can't even ask or care why you posted it, it's too upsetting.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very interesting. I had not heard of this case before. Very interesting how they kept wanting to add to the sentence time and then doing the life thing. I have a few thoughts, but voicing them would to some in here come across as some how defending the two boys who did the killing, rather then my unease at the legal changes that kept being made, so am not going to get into what I really think.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If ever you doubt true evil exists...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was struck by how "normal" the boys look in their picture. You'd never guess what they had inside them from their outward appearance. Mighty sad.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I find it strange that two boys with the same ingredients for being such a sadistic murder found each other. I couldn't even finish reading it, because it got me sick.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I'd never heard of this story, but have always watched Court TV [now TruTV] since I was a kid and been interested in [not murder specifically] but crimes in general. It intrigues me in the fact that it once again brings up the question are humans evil by nature? Or do they develop evil tendencies? I agree with Yvonne, they looked so harmless and normal in the mugshots.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
sammi said:
I'd never heard of this story, but have always watched Court TV [now TruTV] since I was a kid and been interested in [not murder specifically] but crimes in general. It intrigues me in the fact that it once again brings up the question are humans evil by nature? Or do they develop evil tendencies? I agree with Yvonne, they looked so harmless and normal in the mugshots.

all great questions. and just last night, some guy stormed the subway entrance of the Pentagon with 2 semi-automatic 9mm handguns and tons of ammo. he injuried two security personnel, and he was fatally shot before he could do any more damage.

also reminds of the guy in Austin with his airplane.

the Army Major in Texas (Fort Hood) that went on the shooting rampage.

i always wondered what drived these people to commit such crimes.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
And here's one comment you'll hate:

Why is the vast majority of violent crime perpetrated by men?

Do you think there is a link to testosterone?

I know the vast majority of men are non-violent, but when you look at violent crime statistics, in every country, in every conflict, in every part of the world...assault, armed robbery, rape, murder, genocide...there are very very few women who commit these kinds of crimes.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i dont hate the comment at all. i agree 100%.

also, not just human men, but many species of all animals, men are much more aggressive. even in tortoises! cant keep two males together, but you can females.

it must be somewhere in the Y chromosome that just forces males to act this way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
not to be different but have you ever seen two women fight? now tell me who is more violent.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I can't believe this thread... why even bring it up?

For those of you from the states there was a 'Law and Order' episode based on this story...

What is the point???????

First... this is a chelonian chat... Second... the owner allows OT chat... but it has to be slightly connected to chelonian stuff...

This... is a very wierd post.

S

stells

My opinion... they should never have been released... i remember it well.. it was all over the news and newspapers for weeks when it happened....

They were given new identities on release... which i think was wrong..

One of them (Venables) broke his release conditions (recent developement) by going into Liverpool so i believe... when he wasn't allowed too... NJow it looks like he will have to face adult prison.... i don't think he will do to well in that situation...

I know they were young but the crime they commited was awful enough to just let them rot IMO...

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I remember this happening when i was seven. And now that my daughter is nearly two, i find it even more sickening that Venables is back in prizon, and still being protected with tax payers money.

I don't agree with the new identities. I dont agree that these boys got better education than everyone else as a result of the crime they committed. Both boys had new computers, one to one support during GCSE and A LEVEL exams. I dont think that they should have been released on the basis that 'adult prison' would have been 'too tough'. They should have thought about that before they murdered a toddler. The pair of boys only began to repent when they knew there was a chance of release. I understand that both boys had dysfunctional family backgrounds. That both of them were being watched by social services. But i dont think that is a good enough excuse to say 'boys will be boys' and after eight years in juvenile detention, let them both out with a clean slate. And now, Venables sits in his cell under 24 hour survelance, he does not mix with other prizoners for fear of his safety. I think that in all honesty, it is a mockery.

I like to hope that in the end, justice will out. And that Venables should be made to account for his crimes, both in the past and now. I find it upsetting that James Bulgers mother has lived the last 17 years wishing only that her son was alive, that she had never left the house that day. I find it even more disgusting that she was to learn of the re-offence by the media, and not by someone official. This poor woman has suffered enough.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...xtremely-serious-allegations-100252-25976437/

Status
Not open for further replies.