Mushroom? Good? Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi Gulf Coast
It is very pretty but I am willing to bet its not safe to eat.. There must to have been 7 or 8 sections of them in my side yard..

fxcrk3.jpg

14m9taq.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
who would be eating it? box turtles can eat it no problem, i couldnt tell you what tortoises would be able to eat it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I feed my Greeks mushrooms. Well I try. Mine just don't like them. But I only feed store bought mushrooms as some wild ones are listed as toxic. IMO I'd pull them up and not chance Waldo eating them.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Miller, it would have been Waldo.. When I take him out for walks it right on his path.. So I wanted to know, incase he wanted to chomp.. lol.. I know I have seen the box turtles eating mushrooms but never one of these.. I have never seen them before.. I have some store bought ones in the fridge.. Gonna try and see if Waldo cares for them.. I think you are right Robyn, I will pull/remove them so Waldo is not tempted..

Thanks Yall for the replies and the info..

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Careful they not magic mushrooms tee hee !!! :D KIDDING! I would also pull them out, you justnever know how good or bad they are - Tallula does (sometimes,depending on miss madam's mood)enjoy button mushrooms, and even shitake mushies :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
What about these mushrooms?

To the left is a store-bought mushroom (porcini) vs suspicious shrooms growing in my back yard to the right.
Penelope developed a taste for the store-bought ones but I don't think the ones to the right are edible by tort, are they? I yank them out before she can get to them.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/edibleandnon-.jpg

Here's Penelope eating porcini mushroom salad a few months ago. She didn't eat any carrots...not the DT thing, I guess.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/mushroom.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would be very cautious of mushrooms unless you have expert advice (and even then I think it is a gamble). That's odd she didn't like the carrots. They are very much a treat food for torts, similar to fruit. My little guy loves his sliver of carrot every once in awhile, although I won't ever give him fruit.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I wouldn't let the tort eat them. Its very difficult to tell toxic from non-toxic mushrooms. Avoid all wild 'shrooms.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There are actually several sites that tell you how to grow your own mushrooms, they sell the little vaccum to pick up the spores and tips on how to grow them indoors. But they are usually tips for growing the "funny"type. I looked into it a while ago cause my mom loves mushrooms.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, Stephanie. Yeah, she's a determined little tort. She won't give up easily when she finds something she likes.
May be she didn't care for carrots because they were hard to eat (cut horizontally not in sliver).
I got into trouble for feeding her even store-bought mushrooms by my hubby. He has the same opinion as Shelly not to get her accustomed to eating mushroom, so I'm not doing that again even though she lovvvved those porcini.
I'm in southern Cal. Those funny skinny mushrooms began growing around pansies and Alyssum I bought from Home Depot in her pen after the rain and I've been pulling them out regularly now. I think they are gone for now but we'll see after the rain again.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Found this website with a "Choose your own adventure" type of id guide: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/major_groups.html

Some of the questions may be a little difficult without actually having a sample in front of you, but it seems to be pretty detailed and aimed at people like us who don't study mushrooms as a hobby :).

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i would never let my torts eat wild mushrooms. however, my littlefoot, loves store bought mushrooms. i buy 15 pounds at a time!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Wow, Kadaan,
That's a pretty thorough list of mushrooms. thanks! I'll have to go alphabetically if the pix match to id.

B

benjaminshr

Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 percent water, and are very low in calories.Mushrooms are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps lower elevated blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke. One medium portabella mushroom has even more potassium than a banana or a glass of orange juice. One serving of mushrooms also provides about 20 to 40 percent of the daily value of copper, a mineral that has cardioprotective properties.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Unless you can positively indentify them and their toxicity level, I would be cautious about feeding wild mushrooms. In most cases they probably would have little or no toxic effect unless large amounts were consumed. But there is no way of knowing that effect unless you know the toxicity level of that particular mushroom species. I have always offered all of my tortoises mushrooms for years. None of them seem to go for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.