Mushroom identification and safety

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I have a few mushrooms popping up in some of the greenhouse plants and planting trays, and although Odin doesn't have direct access to them, there is still a chance they will end up setting up residence up in his enclosure since I do regular transplants to try and keep up with his bottomless appetite.
I know mushrooms aren't a recommended part of a sullys diet, but I also know he will eat pretty much anything his mouth can reach.
Any ideas what type they are and if they are safe if he does find one and give it a nibble?
The largest one has a cap about 1-1.5 inches across which is flattening out. The smaller ones all have domed caps and are quite small at this time, maybe a 1/8-1/4 inch caps. Visible gills in the larger ones, all similar coloration with tannish stems and grey-tan caps.
The substrate is a mix of organic gardening soil with peat moss and coco coir.
Any help would be appreciated.
006.JPG 007.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
As a general rule in the world of mycology Little brown mushrooms, or "LBMs" should just be flat out avoided for safety's sake.
They are hard to safely ID

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LaDuke is right on here. Even mycologists have a tough time IDing some look alikes. I've looked into this in the past, and wild mushrooms are nearly impossible for the lay-person to ID.

One of my dogs was one of those eat everything kind of dogs and he ate one of the wild growing mushrooms here. It gave him the shakes for a few hours, but luckily didn't kill him.

I think you should be carefully checking for mushrooms and removing them on sight continually.

Mushrooms are fine as part of a sulcatas diet, IF you are sure of their ID and they are okay for human consumption.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thanks, I knew it was a long shot but it was worth a try.
I've also done a bit of research on the subject, but I am only comfortable identifying a handful of local mushrooms for consumption (and they are the super easy ones, like morels, puffballs, chicken of the woods etc.)
I just hope that my plucking fingers are faster than his munching beak if they show up in his enclosure!