mushroom in RF tortoise diet

raven44

Reishi mushrooms contain all essential amino acids. Ein cannot eat those tho lol

Mushrooms are composed of chitin. Same stuff as a lobsters shell. Humans digestive systems CANNOT digest raw mushroom they MUST be cooked. Period. Google it...

I wonder if turtles can digest raw Mushrooms

Cremini, button mush, portabellos, baby crimins, are ALL the same species of mushrooms. It's simply marketing sry to say. This species of agaricus mushroom contains Sooo much selenium thay humans can develop selenium toxicity ingesting these regularly. We do not feed ein button mushrooms.

NON organic button mushroom farmers are the only agricultural crop still allowed to use a banned fungicide or was it pesticide... all other crops have been prohibited from using said chemicals on crops cause they proved it's toxic.

NON organic button mush farmers said they'd go outta business if they couldn't continue to use it. Cop out.

There r still strictly organic button mushroom farms. Sooo sry u guys just can't grow button mushrooms and r willing to poison people for profits. I wouldn't eat non organic button mushrooms

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been feeding my RF mushrooms for decades now. I also eat them raw. I've never before heard about an argument against them.
Interesting.
Thank you.
I have never noticed any unusual B.M.s after my tortoises have eaten mushrooms and they are swallowed in huge chunks. They don't seem to pass undigested.

raven44

Many many folks eat raw mushroom

U simply have been wasting them sry to say

U do not gain the full nutritional benefits of the mushrooms raw. Many mushrooms growers dunno this cause they don't read enough..

Buffets serve them raw all the time.. I roll my eyes after I learned this. Makes me wanna tell em.. always thought they wouldn't be receptive to it tho maybe I should give it a try

Quit buying non organic mushrooms for u and ur turtle now.

Organic ones r same price basically

I'll dig up which banned chemical they still apply to the mushrooms...

I kinda assumed tortoise have bad *** dihestive systems cause they eat their food whole all of it lol no teeth to chew

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I've been feeding my RF mushrooms for decades now. I also eat them raw. I've never before heard about an argument against them.
Interesting.
Thank you.
I have never noticed any unusual B.M.s after my tortoises have eaten mushrooms and they are swallowed in huge chunks. They don't seem to pass undigested.
I had read somewhere (maybe Tortoise Library? not sure) that button and protabellas/creminis were no good for tort so I have only been buying others, like Chantarrels, Oysters and such for the babies' occasional shroom treat. I also occasionally get dried mushrooms from Polish forests. Next time I do I'll let the babies try them rehydrated.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mushrooms absorb vitamin D from the sun the same way our skin does. Put your mushrooms in direct sunlight for 30mins before feeding it increases the vitamin D levels. I feed mushroom every other day to my torts but miss sundays, so 3 times a week. Of course not just mushrooms. My juveniles love them with dandilions and plantain weeds. They seem fine to me.

raven44

Yes I'm aware mushrooms vitamin d content can be increased dry drying in the sun w the gills UP. Works beetrr for some species than others or some concentrate it more so

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3050/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

So the chicken nutritional profile is for one cup of chicken diced.

How much meat protein do u feed ur tortoise and how often?? Knowing this u could find out how much mushrooms would need to be fed and how often to replace the amino in the meat w mushrooms

The mushroom nutritional profile is for 128g or so

Me being entirely unaware of hiw much meat protein to feed a tort makes me unable to calculate this currently or I would

Tort don't eat chicken and dog food in the wild. Maybe bugs Thays what we'd feed if anything... so a meal worm nutritional profile might be more applicable. Assuming they eat meal worms

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes I'm aware mushrooms vitamin d content can be increased dry drying in the sun w the gills UP. Works beetrr for some species than others or some concentrate it more so

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3050/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

So the chicken nutritional profile is for one cup of chicken diced.

How much meat protein do u feed ur tortoise and how often?? Knowing this u could find out how much mushrooms would need to be fed and how often to replace the amino in the meat w mushrooms

The mushroom nutritional profile is for 128g or so

Me being entirely unaware of hiw much meat protein to feed a tort makes me unable to calculate this currently or I would

Tort don't eat chicken and dog food in the wild. Maybe bugs Thays what we'd feed if anything... so a meal worm nutritional profile might be more applicable. Assuming they eat meal worms
Living in the UK my juveniles are in an indoor enclosure quite a lot. So uvb lighting is offered. My reason for feeding(what some may think) such high amounts of mushroom is to aid the vitamin D intake.
I feed for redfoots.
Day 1 weeds/greens and fruit
Day 2 weeds/greens and mushrooms
Day 3 weeds/greens and fruit
Day 4 weeds/greens and mushrooms
Day 5 weeds/greens and fruit
Day 6 weeds/greens and mushrooms
Day 7 animal protein.

As long as you don't put a massive amounts of mushroom and fruit in they will eat the weeds/greens up to. If they ever leave the weeds/greens the following day or 2 they only get weeds/greens. This very rarely happens, if ever now. Feed too much fruit and mushrooms in any one sitting and most of the weeds/greens will get left behind.

I never use calcium/D3 powder. Cuttlebone and water is available 24/7.
Weeds always have priority over greens. To much romaine or spring greens and I noticed poop gets lighter in colour.
Unless I get caught off guard for protein I feed pinkies,worms and eggs(with shell) Very occasionally cat food or chicken.
Egg yolk also has vitamin D in it and there must to be other nutrients in eating such as pinkies.
I often wonder if a Tortoise eats a bird for example then surely it gets all the vitamins,calcium and other nutrients that that bird had. Can anyone clarify that for me?

There are many diet combos, I've found this guideline works for mine. They seem to be growing good and strong.

That went off the mushroom topic but I felt you were looking at other areas of the diet too.
I'll let you break my diet down into category's. It's a mine field if you try to balance everything. Variety is key.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Today's feed for 3 juveniles. 3 types of weeds, some dandy flowers and 1 medium sized mushroom. Probably cost about 3p for this meal :D
IMG_20160416_100112.jpg

raven44

U might wanna look at the selenium content of button mushrooms

Button mushroom are the same as cremini and portabello.

All the same mushroom no difference in them except size. They all have very high selenium amounts.

Enough to develop selenium toxicity in humans and I'd guess torts also

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
U might wanna look at the selenium content of button mushrooms

Button mushroom are the same as cremini and portabello.

All the same mushroom no difference in them except size. They all have very high selenium amounts.

Enough to develop selenium toxicity in humans and I'd guess torts also

Nowt to worry about. They would be week and feeble torts without selenium.

http://m.mushroominfo.com/benefits/

raven44

I'd still worry about it

What I'd ask myself is this...

Where do torts get that much selenium in nature??

I doubt they would, I'm unsure tho

Very few things are so high in selenium

Btw, that link doesn't show how much selenium is in the agaricus bisporus. Seems they suppress that info online quite honestly. The book w that info in it I have lent out so give me some time. I'll post pics of the captions w analysis of agaricus bisporus.

The link u provided states 84g agaricus bisporus mushroom contains 10 pervent dv FOR HUMANS . Kinda irrelevant sry to say :/

I'll also post the toxic pesticide info on the NON ORGANIC agaricus bisporus mushrooms I would NOT eat them

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'd still worry about it

What I'd ask myself is this...

Where do torts get that much selenium in nature??

I doubt they would, I'm unsure tho

Very few things are so high in selenium
So you don't think in moiste micro climates where juvies live, that fungus wouldn't grow.
Where it's hot and humid.

Your worrying about elements if diet that there is no need to worry about. If any one element was only consumed, all our torts would be doomed.
Look at selenium in mushrooms. 10% ish.
I give my juveniles a medium sized mushroom 3 times a week between 3 torts. That's 1 mushroom each per week. That 1 mushroom is (at a guess) 5% of there weekly diet. Which if nothing else has selenium in it they get 0.5% selenium per week. Thus comes back to what everyone says "veriety is key" Every living thing needs selenium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wild tortoises eat all sorts of foods that we would consider bad for them. As an example, one of the staples in a desert tortoise diet is spurge. We are all cautioned to not feed spurge, yet wild desert tortoises eat it whenever they find it. A staple in the Manouria tortoise diet is Colocasia/alocasia, which is another plant high in oxalates. I'm sure RF and YF tortoises find all kinds of fungi in their native lands.

If the only food a tortoise is offered is one that is bad for them, then, yes, he's going to get sick and die. But if that bad food is only a part of a nice variety of other foods, it's not going to be a problem for the tortoise.

raven44

10 percent ish of a humans diet man....

That's so irrelevant to a tort. It's not ten percent of anything as far as a tort is concerned and I think that ten percent figure may be bs. Not sure atm cause that books lent out

Sure mushrooms would grow. But how many would they find that r so high in selenium? ???

Hmmmm

U wanna find out how many micrograms or milligrams of selenium are in a given amount of button mushrooms.

Then find out how man milligrams selenium a tort needs

Just trying to help u out take it or leave it man

All I'm saying is I wouldn't feed agaricus bisporus always. Only occasionally. I would feed oysters or maybe even shiitake instead more commonly. Which are available at winco always fyi

Actually I've found tort talks online stating the same thing

Thing is, few fungi if any are so high in selenium as the commercial buttons are....

It's an isolated pheno. Not all phenos of agaricus bisporus are so high in selenium the wild I might guess. Might have something to do w the "isolate" or the substrate they grow them with not sure.

I'd play it safe and feed buttons once a week at most. Prob once a month personally. I'll have to form a tort feed schedule in time... this is my gf tort I'm very busy as it is so it will take a bit

Think on that

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

That's so irrelevant

Sure mushrooms would grow. But how many would they find that r so high in selenium? ???

Hmmmm

U wanna find out how many micrograms or milligrams of selenium are in a given amount of button mushrooms.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't feed agaricus bisporus always. Only occasionally

Thing is, few fungi if any are so high in selenium as the commercial buttons are....

It's an isolated pheno. Not all phenos of agaricus bisporus are so high in the wild I might guess

Think on that
I know you are and dito, but if it was a problem I would already be seeing bad effects, I'm not. The figures were errelivent, was trying to explain the theory of veriety and how everything gets diluted with a good mixed diet.

Same with fruit, we don't feed our torts only fruit for days on end. But I'm sure if a tort finds an abundance of fallen fruit in the wild it would gorge for a few days until its gone.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

That's so irrelevant to a tort. It's not ten percent of anything as far as a tort is concerned and I think that ten percent figure may be bs. Not sure atm cause that books lent out

Hmmmm

All I'm saying is I wouldn't feed agaricus bisporus always. Only occasionally. I would feed oysters or maybe even shiitake instead more commonly. Which are available at winco always fyi

It's an isolated pheno. Not all phenos of agaricus bisporus are so high in selenium the wild I might guess. Might have something to do w the "isolate" or the substrate they grow them with not sure.

I'd play it safe and feed buttons once a week at most. Prob once a month personally. I'll have to form a tort feed schedule in time... this is my gf tort I'm very busy as it is so it will take a bit

Think on that
@raven44
I'm struggling to find what a torts selenium requirement are. (Searched high and low).
Can you find this out?

Humans varies depending on where you live in the world apparently. Huh.
UK is 75mcg/day for a man. I've got an average size button mushroom (16g ish) at having anything between 1.6mcg to 4.4mcg of selenium. So one mushroom gives 1 UK male anything between 2.1% and 5.9% of the UK RDA.

I look forward to you showing us how to calculate it all out correctly. Cause I'm just relying on searching the net for info.(which can be unreliable)

raven44

I was hoping someone here could help w torts selenium requirements

I know mushroom, and a lil genetics

I dunno biology well.. it might be better to ask urself what the selenium requirements are in most organisms possibly?

I will def be looking into this in time. My gf is an A student in college. A in chem

She'll figure out a lot in time also, she just moves kinda like a tort slow and steady lol ;) she knows biology more than I do and anatomy