mushroom in RF tortoise diet

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I don't stress over my torts diet all that much. Left to their own devices they love poop, too much fruit and dead things *like the snake I had to take away yesterday* So I assume that if I provide them a varied tasty diet and try to keep the gross stuff out of it I'm doing alright.

Also, for what it's worth, I love mushrooms and eat them cooked or raw. I feel that they offer me a variety of tastes and textures that way.

omarnegron

Puerto Rico, USA
Last week I was mixing mushrooms with lettuce, zucchini, weeds and Mazuri. For my surprise, my two redfoots prefer the mushrooms over everything else.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love mushrooms and back in Poland used to eat a lot more of them at least every Fall, when they were plentiful in our beautiful primeval forests. Mushroom picking was a favorite family pastime when we all made sure to bring along at least one family elder who knew their mushrooms as some of them had a potential of making people very sick. We'd bring our wicker baskets full of gorgeous mushrooms and then the whole family and friends would sit around big kitchen table late into the night cleaning them and preparing for either drying or canning. Dry mushrooms are necessary element of some best Polish gourmet dishes and the canned ones (marinaded) would be served at all parties and gatherings as a tasty snack. I had never eaten raw mushroom till my first meal with salad bar in the US and to me this was quite a revolutionary discovery. In Texas I'd eat a lot more mushrooms but there are only so much white and cremini/portabella mushroom dishes that I know how to cook and my favorite (wild) mushrooms are frankly way too expensive. 65$ per pound... so I just buy one little expensive mushroom and feed it to my baby torts now and then. Great topic, @Madkins007, thank you for the great info. I always enjoy reading your posts. Tortoise Library was my "bible" during my first few months with our baby torts. And Raven, keep your mind open to other people's voices, you might learn some new stuff, you never know. And most of all, lets be kind to each other. We are all here to learn, exchange ideas, experiences and make friends. This is a great forum. I am just the "tort grandma", my 11 yr old daughter owns the babies, but I'm the one spending time on this forum daily because I love the learning experience and I love the people who contribute here. Enjoy your tortoise, learn, share, make friends and have fun. That's what this is all about

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark: I think the OP was referring to "Big Macs" (McDonald's hamburger) and just misspelled it as "bug".

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mark: I think the OP was referring to "Big Macs" (McDonald's hamburger) and just misspelled it as "bug".
LOL I wrongly assumed I had missed a thread about feeding bugs. That's what I get when I only stop by once in a while lately.