Mushrooms ¿?

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
What kind of mushrooms/fungus are this ? They keep on growing in my Russians enclosure ! I always remove them but they keep on growing are they poisonous ? I used the app to try to i.d this ones and they said they can't i.D this kind of stuff because is too risky . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406323480.916857.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I say remove, too dangerous because there are too many possibilities. Mushrooms are too vast of a group to identify, I think only experts should do it :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Agreed with the above. Too many kinds and to risky. If this is an inside enclosure, take him out pour boiling water in and stir it up. I'm not sure what you can do foroutside other than keep an eye on it!

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
When you google 'mushroom identification' a number of sites come up which have descriptions and pictures.

Longmont, CO
A great indication for mushrooms is if you see any bright colors underneath the mushroom top or If it looks poisonous it usually is 90% of the time. Honestly those mushrooms look edible but like others have said. It isn't worth the risk unless you know.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thank you guys !! I just removed them and I'm going to keep an eye in the enclosure just to make sure I remove them before the torts have any chance to eat them !

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I've had a couple of those. They seem to form in stool or food remnants. I'm not sure the danger in them but I'd try to spot clean more often to avoid their formation.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thanks @immayo they always grow where the torts poop ! I'm going to boil some water and just pour it in the enclosure like one of the members said , that might help .

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
They are pretty cool to see but I never mess with mushrooms lol you never know which ones are poisonous and which ones are not they all look alike to me haha my favorites are the ones that grow on trees they are so cool !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mushrooms grow on decaying matter, in your case, probably under the soil. I have a eucalyptus tree stump in my Aldabran pen. It's been cut down now for about 5 years, so the wood under the ground is rotting. The stump is right next to the fence and the other day I saw SO, the larger of the two tortoises, right up next to the fence and I was worried he might push the fence over, so I went to see what he was doing and to encourage him away from the fence. He was eating mushrooms that were growing on the decaying tree roots.

Hopefully tortoises would know what they can eat or not eat. At any rate, I encouraged SO away from the 'shrooms and covered them up with bark.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Purchase some Bacillus subtilus spray. This is a naturally occurring bacteria that kills fungus spores. It is useful against several other diseases, such as blights and the fungal diseases powdery mildew and boytris, a fungal mold. The bacteria takes up residence where it is sprayed and prevents spores and pathogens from existing. The product is marketed under several names and is sprayed according to directions on affected areas.
From the internet! :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Purchase some Bacillus subtilus spray. This is a naturally occurring bacteria that kills fungus spores. It is useful against several other diseases, such as blights and the fungal diseases powdery mildew and boytris, a fungal mold. The bacteria takes up residence where it is sprayed and prevents spores and pathogens from existing. The product is marketed under several names and is sprayed according to directions on affected areas.
From the internet! :D
I'm worried it might be bad if torts ingested it, what are your opinions tort forum?

Clawem

I have read somewhere that the American Indians would not eat box turtles because they like to eat mushrooms which were very poisonous. I don't know if that is true but mine do not let any mushroom grow in their enclosure.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I have read somewhere that the American Indians would not eat box turtles because they like to eat mushrooms which were very poisonous. I don't know if that is true but mine do not let any mushroom grow in their enclosure.
I've read the same thing. Likely torts and turtles can tolerate many mushroom species which we are not able to do. Many inedible mushrooms for humans just give us severe GI symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Others give us hallucinations, which when unplanned are frequently very frightening to people. Others of course, such as some of the Amanitas/Death Caps kill you, usually by destroying your liver over a few gruesome weeks.