Mushrooms?

JHoward

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I know wild box turtles like to eat mushrooms. Are mushrooms safe for leopard tortoises as well? If so, what kinds. I know white button mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D3.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will feed the button ones and the, darn it I forgot the name of them. The really large, kinda flat ones. If I think of it, I will come back and post it. Otherwise, if someone else can fill in what I can't seem to remember:D

Ha, just thought of it. Portabella. The big and smaller ones.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I don't think they mushrooms are the right foot for desert tortoise (stigmochelys). They don't find mushrooms in the nature because it is to dry for them. So their stomach and bowel aren't preparer for this foot.

Sorry I mean aren't the right foot ;-)

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
You might be right. So far I haven't even tried to feed any.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
juli11 said:
I don't think they mushrooms are the right foot for desert tortoise (stigmochelys). They don't find mushrooms in the nature because it is to dry for them. So their stomach and bowel aren't preparer for this foot.

Sorry I mean aren't the right foot ;-)

They are not desert tortoises. It is very humid over there for most of the year. And mushrooms grow all over the desert too.

JHoward said:
I know wild box turtles like to eat mushrooms. Are mushrooms safe for leopard tortoises as well? If so, what kinds. I know white button mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D3.

Any mushrooms that are safe for people are also safe for tortoises to eat. I just don't feed them all that often. Once in a while is a great addition to the diet.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I would think mushrooms are found all over. Even the desert gets some moisture now and again.

Ann from CT

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thanks for all the input. I was mainly thinking of the vitamin D3 they contain.