Musk Turtle Perfect Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
So im contemplating getting musk turtles, and i've googled to but to find that some experts are contradicting with other experts. All i want to know is, what exactly do i need for a hatchling musk. I have a 28 US Gallon tank already. So, its just a case of what equipment i would need and what id have to do to set it up so it creates a stable environment for the musk. Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated :D

Any pics of your setup so i have a vague idea would be brilliant

Meant to also add, i have a Fluval U2 filter, is this suitable?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
I am not an expert but musk turtles are among the smaller of aquatic turtle species. What type of musk are you thinking of? A 28 gallon tank might be OK for a couple musks at first, but they may need something a little larger as they get larger, as they like to forage around the bottom of the tank. The fluval U2 I believe is rated to 30 gallons which would probably be OK for a 28 gallon assuming it was not filled all the way, but you might want to consider a bigger filter down the road or if you get a larger tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Slimeytoadstool:"

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

I'm not a water turtle expert, but it is my opinion that the mud/musk turtles are not good swimmers. They mainly walk along the bottom and up to the bank to breathe. If you make them do a lot of swimming in order to get to the top to breathe you are doing the turtle a dis service.

Kuro

5 Year Member
i have two common musk(stinkpot) turtle hatchlings in a 20 gallon long. tank is a bit less then half full and i'm using a filter rated for i think a 30 or 40 gallon tank to help keep the water clean since turtles are messier then fish.

besides a tamk and filter you'd need a basking light and a uvb bulb and a place for them to get out and completely dry off and bask, my two little ones don't bask alot but they do when they feel the need and i also have things like plats they can climb to be able to easily reach the top of the water to get air

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
Kuro said:
i have two common musk(stinkpot) turtle hatchlings in a 20 gallon long. tank is a bit less then half full and i'm using a filter rated for i think a 30 or 40 gallon tank to help keep the water clean since turtles are messier then fish.

besides a tamk and filter you'd need a basking light and a uvb bulb and a place for them to get out and completely dry off and bask, my two little ones don't bask alot but they do when they feel the need and i also have things like plats they can climb to be able to easily reach the top of the water to get air

Kuro, any chance i could get a pic of your setup so i can get a rough idea as to the way it should look like, i know hatchlings should only get about 2-3 inches of water and access to air so plenty of plants and stuff to get up top.

Also, when u say uvb bulb and basking light, (i know this is a bit noobish) but is there special equipment to use them or is it just standard spotlights?

I also heard that some people use mystery snails to clean up all the food debris on the bottom, would the musks attack them if i introduced them into the tank?

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi "Slimeytoadstool:"

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

I'm not a water turtle expert, but it is my opinion that the mud/musk turtles are not good swimmers. They mainly walk along the bottom and up to the bank to breathe. If you make them do a lot of swimming in order to get to the top to breathe you are doing the turtle a dis service.

Hi Yvonne, my names David and i'm from Glasgow in Scotland

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Sorry to disagree with you, Yvonne, but musk turtles are actually good swimmers. Loggerhead musks (Sternotherus minor minor) can be found in Florida springs up to 15m deep. But you can't just drop them into a bare tank with deep water; a musk turtle can swim fairly well in a deep tank, assuming there are plenty of logs and aquatic plants in the setup.

A 28 gallon is probably a bit too small for a musk turtle. A single musk turtle should have a 40 gallon, or 50 gallons for larger species like razorbacks. Remember, we're talking water volume, not just tank size. So...a Fluval U2 would be too small of a filter. Try investing for a filter (canisters are the best) that's rated around 60 gallons or so. This is what I have in mind of an ideal setup;

A 40 gallon enclosure (aquarium or stock tank, doesn't matter which) with a few driftwood branches and aquatic plants such as hornwort. You can add a 80w aquarium bulb to keep the hornwort growing. You can have a basking area that's made of a floating piece of cork bark wedged at an angle. The basking light can be a regular reptile basking bulb that emits UVA. UVB generally isn't as important to musk turtles as they are to basking turtles such as RES. You can take your musk outside on warm, sunny days to catch some rays though. I don't recommend substrate; it gets too hard to clean up and may cause bacteria buildup if not cleaned on a regular basis. You can use substrate if you want, but I know many expert turtle keepers who never use any substrate and have great results.

This is just what I advocate, your setup may vary.

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
hi i have a 50 gallon tank with 2 musks in about 6cm long. i have an external fluvel 205 filter. My two are good swimmers but do use rocks and plants to climb upon. will post a pic this weekend for you. we have just made a basking shelf with light but they only go up there to pinch cooked chicken lol

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
forgot to say i had gravel in mine - soon took it out as trying to keep it clean was a nightmare - much better now x

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello David, My neighbor's grand daughter gave me this little fellow late last fall. he is in a 10 gal tank with 2 small filters and a lot of (i don't know the name)water weeds that I grow in the outside ponds.He can move though the weeds and choose whatever elevation he wants.there is one rock that breaks the surface, and he does bask sometimes, but is usually moving around below in the weeds.In a couple weeks he will be moved outside to one of the ponds.The weeds play a large factor in keeping the water clear and clean. Len

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Len said:
Hello David, My neighbor's grand daughter gave me this little fellow late last fall. he is in a 10 gal tank with 2 small filters and a lot of (i don't know the name)water weeds that I grow in the outside ponds.He can move though the weeds and choose whatever elevation he wants.there is one rock that breaks the surface, and he does bask sometimes, but is usually moving around below in the weeds.In a couple weeks he will be moved outside to one of the ponds.The weeds play a large factor in keeping the water clear and clean. Len

Those look like hornwort (ceratophyllum demersum).

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
CIMG5055.JPGCIMG5048.JPGheres some pics - need to get more plants in mine :D

Last edited by a moderator:

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
hali said:
heres some pics - need to get more plants in mine :D

I like the basking area, was that just plexiglass u used with it?

Noticed you have a lid on it, i was under the assumption this was bad for them due to humidity and can cause lung problems. Im guessing its well ventilated. I've just made a mesh lid for mine as it worked out cheaper and still keeps it ventilated.

tortoises101 said:
Sorry to disagree with you, Yvonne, but musk turtles are actually good swimmers. Loggerhead musks (Sternotherus minor minor) can be found in Florida springs up to 15m deep. But you can't just drop them into a bare tank with deep water; a musk turtle can swim fairly well in a deep tank, assuming there are plenty of logs and aquatic plants in the setup.

A 28 gallon is probably a bit too small for a musk turtle. A single musk turtle should have a 40 gallon, or 50 gallons for larger species like razorbacks. Remember, we're talking water volume, not just tank size. So...a Fluval U2 would be too small of a filter. Try investing for a filter (canisters are the best) that's rated around 60 gallons or so. This is what I have in mind of an ideal setup;

A 40 gallon enclosure (aquarium or stock tank, doesn't matter which) with a few driftwood branches and aquatic plants such as hornwort. You can add a 80w aquarium bulb to keep the hornwort growing. You can have a basking area that's made of a floating piece of cork bark wedged at an angle. The basking light can be a regular reptile basking bulb that emits UVA. UVB generally isn't as important to musk turtles as they are to basking turtles such as RES. You can take your musk outside on warm, sunny days to catch some rays though. I don't recommend substrate; it gets too hard to clean up and may cause bacteria buildup if not cleaned on a regular basis. You can use substrate if you want, but I know many expert turtle keepers who never use any substrate and have great results.

This is just what I advocate, your setup may vary.

Tony, the 28 gallon would just be the starter tank for it. Already saving up for a bigger tank anyway.

I wasnt planning on using a substrate as majority of people i've talked to have said that its too messy with food being lodged inbetween whatevers getting used.

Len said:

Len, he's too cute! lol

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Here is a pic of my set-up that houses a common Musk and a Striped Mud:
76929_1690917754200_1275430697_31815885_3197530_n.jpg

76457_1682141294794_1275430697_31801807_2299613_n.jpg

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
no just a glass shelf used siliconed on - does have a lid but with plenty of cut out hles at back as it was an aquarium so lighting in the lid

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
OK, so ive went and bought a few things in. Let me know if these are any good, if not my sister will be able to use them

Exo-Terra Magnetic Turtle Bank
UVB 5.0 Tube with fluorescant lighting controller
Aqua-One 150W submersible Heater
Fluval U3 Filter with replacement media

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
Since getting all that stuff in, i have since been offered White limestone rock. Is this safe to use in the tank or is there anything i need to do first?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
slimytoadstool said:
Since getting all that stuff in, i have since been offered White limestone rock. Is this safe to use in the tank or is there anything i need to do first?

The limestone probably will dissolve and leave calcium in the water just like a cuttlebone. Limestone's perfectly fine to use in a turtle tank, just enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

slimytoadstool

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:

The limestone probably will dissolve and leave calcium in the water just like a cuttlebone. Limestone's perfectly fine to use in a turtle tank, just enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

How long will it take to dissolve though?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
slimytoadstool said:
tortoises101 said:
slimytoadstool said:

How long will it take to dissolve though?

How big is your piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.