Must...have...more....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, since the female Home's Hingeback that I recently got to add to my group turned out to be a teeny little thing that won't be breedable for several years, I decided to start looking around again.... I found two adult females, full grown, and decided to invest in them.

I put a deposit down on the girls, and should be having them shipped in about a week. That will put me at 2.4 :D

I think it is extremely important for anyone that is interested in Hingies to build breeding colonies. There is no data for how many there actually are in the wild - one day, they could just be gone. They are a hard tortoise to start when freshly wild caught, but once you get them going, they are so much fun to have. They have great personalities once they get over their shyness. I can't wait to see a baby pop out of an egg....

Kristina

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree wholeheartedly with you. Good luck and I hope you eventually see hundreds of babies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Lol, hundreds would take a while :) They only lay a few eggs at a time. I did get eggs from my lone original female last fall, but I did not find them until after I had moved them inside for the winter and was battening down the hatches on their outdoor enclosure. After the cold temps, I doubt the eggs would have remained viable, so I decided not to incubate. Only one had survived intact, and running the incubator for six months for one probably dud egg...

Can't wait for the tort kids to get to go outside. I am going to have to build a new enclosure for the Hingebacks though, the old one won't be big enough now that I have three more.

Kristina

S

Scooter

I completely agree. Now if only I could find a male for Scoot. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you already say and I missed it? What happened to your sulcatas?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I adopted them out. I never really intended to have Sulcatas. I simply took them to save them from poor husbandry. Gwen especially was in very bad shape.

The person that adopted them had more space for them, both inside and outside. I was VERY picky about who got them, and I am confident they went to an excellent home. We stay in contact and they are doing good.

Kristina

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations on your future Hingeback colony, and best wishes for success on the breeding component. You'll need to post loads of photos, now. ;)

Did you give Gwenyth's new keeper this website address so he/she can keep us informed on her progress? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
Lol, hundreds would take a while :) They only lay a few eggs at a time. I did get eggs from my lone original female last fall, but I did not find them until after I had moved them inside for the winter and was battening down the hatches on their outdoor enclosure. After the cold temps, I doubt the eggs would have remained viable, so I decided not to incubate. Only one had survived intact, and running the incubator for six months for one probably dud egg...

Can't wait for the tort kids to get to go outside. I am going to have to build a new enclosure for the Hingebacks though, the old one won't be big enough now that I have three more.

Kristina

Well I was thinking large scale and long term. I hope for the best for you.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Stephanie Logan said:
Congratulations on your future Hingeback colony, and best wishes for success on the breeding component. You'll need to post loads of photos, now. ;)

Did you give Gwenyth's new keeper this website address so he/she can keep us informed on her progress? :)

Thanks, and I promise I will up the pic frequency ;)

I did pass on the address here, but he is not online much, so I am not surprised we have not heard from him here.

Tom said:
Well I was thinking large scale and long term. I hope for the best for you.

Thanks, the sentiment is greatly appreciated :)

Jacqui said:
:D They do seem to grow on a person. :D

Ya think? ;) I blame Jeff first, you second, for this, you know :D

Kristina

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The two new girls ship tomorrow, and will be here Friday!!! I am so excited!!!!

I have the new outdoor pen almost done too, but it has been raining the last two days, blah :( I will post pics when it is ALL done :D

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.