1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

MVB on Ebay

Discussion in 'Tortoise Product Reviews' started by Lori J, Apr 1, 2010.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori J

Lori J New Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    New York
    I just bought a MVB on Ebay for 27 bucks.:D They are easy to find on there. It's the Zoo Med brand. So far so good. Just thought I would try to save you all money. These balbs are 80 dollars in the stores.
  2. Meg90

Meg90 Active Member 10 Year Member! 5 Year Member

WI
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    RE: MVP on Ebay

Do you mean MVB? And you need to be very careful on Ebay. What exactly did you buy?
  3. Lori J

Lori J New Member 5 Year Member

New York

yes MVB 100 watt powersun
  4. tortoisenerd

tortoisenerd Active Member 5 Year Member

Washington

That sounds about the right price for online. Only Petco and such sell them so overpriced. You can now get a (better) T-Rex for $25 too, a new model.
  5. Meg90

Meg90 Active Member 10 Year Member! 5 Year Member

WI

You got a link Kate?
  6. jobeanator

jobeanator Active Member 10 Year Member!

northern new york

i also buy them on ebay. i bought 3 powersun bulbs for 70$.
  7. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    I've noticed the manufacturers and marketers are really muddying the waters with the bulb situation. There are only a few bulb types that do what we need to be done for our tortoises. It seems a lot of these cheaper bulbs have very similar names and descriptions, but some of them are just expensive incandescent bulbs and aren't giving the tortoise the UV that they absolutely need.

Lori, Could you post a pic of the package, showing the label, so we can see exactly what you got. It would be great if we could all start saving money on the UVB bulbs, but we all need to be sure we are comparing apples to apples.
  8. tortoisenerd

Washington
    100 Watt new T-Rex for $19.99 here: http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/46074/123/t-rex-uv-heat-100-watt

$25.99 here: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2822 (and they still list the older one for $51.45).

I would love more info on this bulb as I'm confused why they are selling it for half the cost and I haven't found any info besides these two sites selling it. Oh, and what I meant by (better) was that I think the T-Rex is better than the Powersun, not that I think/know the new T-Rex is better than the old one. I don't have any info on this new T-Rex one and am actually holding off on buying it until I have info (and I don't need any bulbs now).

The only bulbs I would ever consider buying are 1) T-Rex and 2) Mega Ray, because this site puts out good research on them: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm The Powersun would be my third choice if 1) and 2) weren't available. The other brands I haven't seen research on.
  9. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    These are different than the normal UVBs that we all refer to. Those are called "Active UV Heat" bulbs. In this new one they dropped the word "Active" and about $40 off the price. They've got to be two different things. I've personally used the "Active UV Heat" bulbs to bring animals out of MBD in the middle of winter. I KNOW they work. I don't know about this new kind.

I just want everyone to realize these are two different products.
  10. tortoisenerd

Washington
    I was told by Josh at Josh's Frogs this was just a new version of the Active UV Heat, they changed the name to UV Heat, and they are able to offer it at a great price as the manufacturer is offering it at a great price to entice people to try it. It still provides UVB and appears to be comparable, but I haven't seen any detailed info on it. Only thing I've noticed so far is that neither site mentions the typical 6 month manufacturer's warranty. Not sure if this bulb comes with it or not.
  11. dragnikla

dragnikla Member 5 Year Member

owings mills, MD
    I thought these were the ones that output uvb that a tortoise would get in the shade, and the active heat is the full sun. Does anyone know for sure. I thought the cheaper price was because it put out less uvb. Is there anywhere I can get the t-rex active heat for less than $45 online?