MVBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have read in articles how MVBs begin to deteriorate after 6 months of use, and are recommended to be replaced about every 6 months. My question is, how often do YOU replace your MVB?

ekm5015

5 Year Member
6-12 months is the best answer I can give you without using a uv meter to test the bulb.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I didn't know they had meters to test the bulbs..where can I get one?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
6 months for a tube bulb and 12 months for a MVB is the basic rule (but check your bulb information) unless you have a uv meter, which can sometimes be borrowed from a vet or club. My vet has one but I have had my bulbs burn out at 9 or 10 months so I didn't get a chance to check them at 12. I'm actually thinking of replacing mine more like every 6 months because my tort's basking and activity level picks up so much after I replace it. With one tort the difference in cost doesn't mean much to me (the bulb cost per year is a small fraction of what I spend on him since he's spoiled!). They start to rapidly decay from the get go, so there is a lot less UVB at the end of their suggested life, but still "enough" by most standards. You can see some data here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm and http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubes.htm For me, the math even pointed to using a MVB so with the added increased benefit of better UVB output of a MVB, it was a no brainer. Buying a good brand like T-Rex Active UV Heat or Mega Ray has more testing to ensure that you will get the output out of it like they predict (plus their output is higher than the competitors and they have a better track record).

samstar

5 Year Member
I planm on changing mine once every 12-18 months. I use Megaray 120 watts MVB and it's on about 6 hours a day becuase it's quite warm and sunny where I live throughout the year.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Sounds good. I'm on about 9-10 months of use right now, and I was considering if I should get a new one or not, and I've decided I'm going to.

Who here owns a UV meter? Have you found it useful or do you hardly use it?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I usually replace mine every other year, but my torts only live inside from mid-October until mid-March, and go outside on warm days in between those dates, for at least a few hours (the bulbs are switched off at those times), so they're probably not quite used up yet, even when replaced every other year...

Status
Not open for further replies.