My 14 yo son wants an aldabra

RiverOtter

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Ok, now that I've brought every expert running to beat sense into me, let me first assure everyone that this is NOT happening this year, and we are trying to work out if it should happen, ever, then let's take a closer look at this exact situation.

First, know that we are not your typical family. We farm. We have very different definitions of "big" and "difficult" than most folks. I have dealt with animals, domestic and exotic, tame and wild, large and small since I myself was 14. I am fully accustomed to fencing in acreage and building housing for specific animals (nothing, nothing, can possibly harder to house and fence than the 900# sow we once had, appropriately named That B*tch.) I already buy hay and alfalfa cubes by the ton (about 30 tons a year) We already have horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, poultry and I have a pet Tibetan Yak bull, inside we have an assortment of dogs, cats, fish, budgies, ball pythons (and the rats to feed them) leopard geckos - but no tortoises. We've actually never had a tortoise.

Now, quick note, I am deeply not a fan of the notion of "starter animals". Particularly with things like, say, tortoises that live for decades. Could I get him a Russian off craigslist tomorrow? Absolutely! And in a year when that is still not the animal that he actually wanted, so we upgrade to what was desired all along, what happens with the Russian for the next 49 years? Not at all fair to the animal, better to do one's homework and just get what you want - unless you find out what you want is undoable.

And, he really, really wants one (quick note, still may not happen, but, homework). He loves them. Loves. Has loved them all his life. I don't remember just how bitty he was when he first took notice of a tortoise in a pet store and asked if he could have one, but I remember saying that I'd have to take a look and see what they needed and he said "No, not that one. A big one."
How did he know at that tiny age that they came in BIG? But he did, and he wanted one.
A couple of years ago when we visited FL, we went to a tortoise park. I thought that if he saw just how big BIG was, and how really nice some of the, I guess more "standard-size" tortoises could be, it would be easy to convince him that a 30# tortoise is big enough. Nope. He liked all the species plenty, got excited when he saw the sulcatas, but fell head over heels in LOVE with the aldabra. He would have stayed there all day, joyfully. This was it, his dream come true, now given name and form. He wants to have children so that someone can take care of his tortoise when he's gone. He actually said that to me, and that he wanted a pet that he could have for his whole life, and then he could have children and his children could have it for their whole lives, and they'll be the tortoise family.

So, experts, I need you to tell me all that we would need.
4x8 high-humidity indoor pen for the first year - easy. We do have other reptiles so are familiar with all the concepts.
Diet - again, grass I've got, fresh, dry and cubed. We garden, have a greenhouse and a hoophouse, this is not a problem. BUT, I do have 2 questions! How important are cactus pads? Everywhere I look I see cactus pads as part of their diet. How vital is this? What does cactus provide them that other foods don't? Very importantly, what kind of cactus because that's really, really vague. The second question regards calcium. Now, I don't have a problem providing calcium as dust, ground hard-boiled eggshell powder, cuttlebones, whatever, but, I have to ask, wouldn't an inclusive diet source be better? Like alfalfa? My dairy goats get all the alfalfa they want when they're in milk, because it gives them the calcium they need. I buy THIS in bulk.
My big concerns are winter and growth rtate. We live in NY. It’s cold for 5 months. Now, for as long as the tortoise can come inside for the winter and still have it’s exercise needs meet, it’s fine – but how long would that be? I saw on another thread that being 10# at 3 years is a pretty good growth rate, how many years before they are 50#? 100#? How many years will a basement with a radient heated floor buy us*? How much space for walking does a 100# aldabra need over the winter to stay healthy? Outside housing is not an issue – I have paddocks for many species. My main thing is how many years before we need to build a massive heated barn or move south? Because if it’s 3-4 yerars, then we can’t manage it. If it’s 10-12 years, my winter-hating little man will be a big grown man and able to move down south or build his tortoise paradise as he sees fit.

*Yes, I can get a tortoise of any size in and out of a basement. Basement has stairs that easily convert to a ramp outside for the willing and able and I have a tractor and sling if otherwise, I have (safely!!) pulled an 1800# cow out of a rough spot and carried her, I can move whatever needs moved

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 4x8 won't last long for an Aldabra. Likely not even a year.
They grow fairly fast if housed and fed properly.
It would have to be housed outside in a heated shed way before 10-12 years. More like 2 or 3 years maybe 3-4 years.
It can be done in the colder states, but you do have to have the room, you got. But also the means, money, to build the enclosure and heat it, not cheap, as they have to be able to properly walk to keep muscle tone and insides moving. For one Aldabra a 20x20 should be big enough.
Being inside for 5-6 months, added calcium would be needed, specially when younger. If a big variety proper diet, including optunia cactus is fed, eventually there is not a big need for added calcium. The pads can be ordered on line and if you ask your grocery store, they may be able to order them for you.
Check out Aldabraman threads. He has many Aldabras.
@Yvonne G used to have two males, she can also give you some advice.
We have quite a few members with them, but maybe only 2 or 3 that do it in the colder states and they aren't on here much any more.
Good luck figuring it out.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, now that I've brought every expert running to beat sense into me, let me first assure everyone that this is NOT happening this year, and we are trying to work out if it should happen, ever, then let's take a closer look at this exact situation.

First, know that we are not your typical family. We farm. We have very different definitions of "big" and "difficult" than most folks. I have dealt with animals, domestic and exotic, tame and wild, large and small since I myself was 14. I am fully accustomed to fencing in acreage and building housing for specific animals (nothing, nothing, can possibly harder to house and fence than the 900# sow we once had, appropriately named That B*tch.) I already buy hay and alfalfa cubes by the ton (about 30 tons a year) We already have horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, poultry and I have a pet Tibetan Yak bull, inside we have an assortment of dogs, cats, fish, budgies, ball pythons (and the rats to feed them) leopard geckos - but no tortoises. We've actually never had a tortoise.

Now, quick note, I am deeply not a fan of the notion of "starter animals". Particularly with things like, say, tortoises that live for decades. Could I get him a Russian off craigslist tomorrow? Absolutely! And in a year when that is still not the animal that he actually wanted, so we upgrade to what was desired all along, what happens with the Russian for the next 49 years? Not at all fair to the animal, better to do one's homework and just get what you want - unless you find out what you want is undoable.

And, he really, really wants one (quick note, still may not happen, but, homework). He loves them. Loves. Has loved them all his life. I don't remember just how bitty he was when he first took notice of a tortoise in a pet store and asked if he could have one, but I remember saying that I'd have to take a look and see what they needed and he said "No, not that one. A big one."
How did he know at that tiny age that they came in BIG? But he did, and he wanted one.
A couple of years ago when we visited FL, we went to a tortoise park. I thought that if he saw just how big BIG was, and how really nice some of the, I guess more "standard-size" tortoises could be, it would be easy to convince him that a 30# tortoise is big enough. Nope. He liked all the species plenty, got excited when he saw the sulcatas, but fell head over heels in LOVE with the aldabra. He would have stayed there all day, joyfully. This was it, his dream come true, now given name and form. He wants to have children so that someone can take care of his tortoise when he's gone. He actually said that to me, and that he wanted a pet that he could have for his whole life, and then he could have children and his children could have it for their whole lives, and they'll be the tortoise family.

So, experts, I need you to tell me all that we would need.
4x8 high-humidity indoor pen for the first year - easy. We do have other reptiles so are familiar with all the concepts.
Diet - again, grass I've got, fresh, dry and cubed. We garden, have a greenhouse and a hoophouse, this is not a problem. BUT, I do have 2 questions! How important are cactus pads? Everywhere I look I see cactus pads as part of their diet. How vital is this? What does cactus provide them that other foods don't? Very importantly, what kind of cactus because that's really, really vague. The second question regards calcium. Now, I don't have a problem providing calcium as dust, ground hard-boiled eggshell powder, cuttlebones, whatever, but, I have to ask, wouldn't an inclusive diet source be better? Like alfalfa? My dairy goats get all the alfalfa they want when they're in milk, because it gives them the calcium they need. I buy THIS in bulk.
My big concerns are winter and growth rtate. We live in NY. It’s cold for 5 months. Now, for as long as the tortoise can come inside for the winter and still have it’s exercise needs meet, it’s fine – but how long would that be? I saw on another thread that being 10# at 3 years is a pretty good growth rate, how many years before they are 50#? 100#? How many years will a basement with a radient heated floor buy us*? How much space for walking does a 100# aldabra need over the winter to stay healthy? Outside housing is not an issue – I have paddocks for many species. My main thing is how many years before we need to build a massive heated barn or move south? Because if it’s 3-4 yerars, then we can’t manage it. If it’s 10-12 years, my winter-hating little man will be a big grown man and able to move down south or build his tortoise paradise as he sees fit.

*Yes, I can get a tortoise of any size in and out of a basement. Basement has stairs that easily convert to a ramp outside for the willing and able and I have a tractor and sling if otherwise, I have (safely!!) pulled an 1800# cow out of a rough spot and carried her, I can move whatever needs moved
You had me laughing almost all the way through this post! In a GOOD way!

Giant tortoises are the wrong pet for almost everyone, but YOU are that rare exception. They are difficult even in warm sunny mild climates, but you have the skills and understanding of how to manage such a beast. I support your decision to get one, and that is rare for me to say for someone in your climate.

You've already hit the nail on the head. The difficulty is going to be when it needs more roaming room than a large basement can provide over those winter months. When started and cared for correctly, they can easily hit 50 pounds in 3-4 years. Fed more moderately and allowed to cool a bit at night, and they will grow slower.

One of the main killers of this species and the other island giant, in my experience, is lack of space. They need room to roam and the roomy roaming area has to be warm. South Florida is really the only suitable place for these in the Continental US. Hawaii works too if a person stays in the low lands. Here in sunny southern CA it is too dry. They can survive here, but I have yet to see any that are thriving and doing well.

I do think a 4x8 will see you through your first year to year and a half. Even longer if you happen to get a slower grower. A room sized enclosure should last another year or two after that if you have a large outdoor pen for the warmer months. By year 3 or 4, you are going to have a problem. Its the same problem as people who get sulcatas in frozen winter climates. You clearly understand this, so if you can build a large heated insulated barn, with heated floors, strong lighting, and a serious automatic generator system for those inevitable winter power outages, then you might be one a a very few people capable of housing a giant tropical tortoise in an inhospitable climate.

I would love to see you succeed, and this would serve as a wonderful example for people to follow when they come here asking about this sort of thing. I also work around farms, ranches, large hoof stock animals, and tractors, and boy, there are some unique skill sets gained from messing with that sort of stuff day in and day out.

Your post really struck a chord with me. I too have been fascinated with the giants for as long as I can remember. This is 1975 at the Sand Diego Zoo. Its a cool picture at first glance, but really look at my body language. It says so much:
1975-August copy.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I disagree with Tom a little on the 4x8 enclosure. This is why. (From the Aldabraman. They hatch out at 2.5" and hit 3" at about 30 days old. It takes about five months of proper growth to get to the 4" mark.) Unless you don't mind building for only a few months use, then yes a 4x8 will work. Most likely not for a full year. You'd be better off preparing a room or basement, sectioning a smaller portion off and opening it up as he grows until he can move outside in a heated 20x20 shed or larger.
Not sure if Tom knows, but there are three being raised in Minnesota and one in Illinois that all are doing really well and one little one in New Jersey. Those are just the ones I know of. They just don't post about them because of the slack certain members will give about doing it in the colder North.
To give some size to age comparison. Yvonne's were around 150 pounds at 7 years. That was quite a few years ago she had posted that. Not sure if that was a guess or not. She no longer has them.

RiverOtter

Upstate NY
Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome and helpful replies! @wellington , thanks for telling me what kind of cactus, I can certainly get prickly pear. And if succulents in general are particularly good for them, we grow a good bit of purslane as well.
To answer your second post, no, I don't mind, with large animals I expect to have to upgrade them, and I'm also used to re-purposing enclosures to suit other species. I'd actually design the 4x8 to either be able to be disassembled and parts re-used or divided into two 4x4 ball python enclosures.

@Tom , thanks so much, I lurked enough to know what a compliment that is, especially from you! LOL, and I'm glad you were entertained, I like to consider myself as having a robust post-apocalyptic skill set. I'm still not 100% sure an Aldabra will come home with us one day, but I really appreciate the vote of confidence. I try really hard to give all my beasties what they need to be healthy and happy. That is a great picture, btw. My son actually got to go into the pen with the Aldabra, pet him and feed him a few hibiscus flowers. The tortoise followed him around and he was sold - he'd happily have been it's slave (which is good, because that's what it will take, lol)

So far it seems like a maybe. A 20x20 heated area is potentially doable and actually about the dimensions of the basement, which we don't use currently as it could really use to be re-finished, so we wouldn't miss having the space, and it needs done regardless, and a radiant-heat floor and excellent lighting are great things to have in a basement anyway. I saw that one forum member has a shed heated for napping and nights and their Aldabras wander during the day - if an 85 degree sleeping shed works, it would be possible to adjust everything in the (long, narrow) greenhouse for daytime winter-walking, it has a heater and I have an alarm (look up "refrigerator alarm", if anyone wants one) that yells at me if it drops below 50F and it gets fairly warm most days, even in winter.
So, hmm, much to ponder...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your basement has an exit right to the outside, a ramp would work for entering and exiting the basement if it can be made without being too steep. The person in Minnesota does this for his 3.
You could also offer up to your son a herd of smaller tortoises instead of one large one. Just a thought.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Hi, nice to read your story ! I felt a lot of empathy when you talked about getting the actual breed of animal from the get go. I always wanted a dog as a child and my parents wouldn’t allow it. As soon as I had a large house and large garden I decided that I wanted an Irish wolfhound. So many people said it wasn’t the dog for me and I should get a Labrador . I listened to them and got a fantastic lab, however several wolfhounds later I should have just followed my instincts. I think you should nurture the interest that your son has in having an Aldabra.
I have two beautiful healthy 4 year old Aldabras as well as 4 Sulcatas and 2 Herman’s . I also live in the very north of England where the weather can be less kind. However as long as their housing and diet is correct, and they have plenty of room to roam then it’s a no-brainer. Good luck…. Lots of sound advice on this forum. I wish you well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right? Hermanns are nice. How many Western Hermanns to make the weight of one Aldabra, lol
OMG, lots and lots. Leopards would be nice though. I have two. Very personable. They are both males and only two of them, so can't live together. But a member in TX has quite a few that all live together. They make a nice interesting fun herd.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just want to interject a few words here.

One of my friends from PA kept a couple of Galapagos Tortoises for many years. When they were younger and he could lift them, it wasn't a big problem moving them in and out of his house in cold weather. When they became adults it was very difficult to make them go in or out if they did not wish to move. At that point, he needed a forklift and another person to help him move them from wherever they were back to his house of vice versa. Eventually, he got tired of the ordeal and parted with the animals.

I lived in the northwestern corner of CT for 30 years and kept 4 adult sulcatas there. They stayed in my basement during cold weather and were carried up the basement stairs to the outside whenever weather permitted. I had to put them in a garden cart (separately as only one fit in it at a time) at the top of the basement stairway to wheel them to their fenced pen, then lift them out of the cart and over the fence to place them into the pen. The process was reversed when they had to be brought inside again. Doing this 8 times a day when it was warm enough for them to be out in the daytime, but too cold to leave them out at night was very time consuming (but a lot of good exercise). After 4 years of doing this, the males were becoming very heavy and extremely difficult for me to lift, and I found it best to find them a new home at a zoo in TX.

The basement stairs being converted to a ramp is fine, but if the tortoise doesn't feel like walking up or down the ramp when you want it to do so, it can be problematic. It sounds as though you can solve it, though.

Where is your farm in NY? Just curious. I have several friends who are dairy farmers in different parts of the state.

Good luck with the project.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Right? Hermanns are nice. How many Western Hermanns to make the weight of one Aldabra, lol
Probably about 450 to 750 W. Herman's to equal one adult Aldabra, depending upon the locale of W. Herman's as some are larger than others.

There is a very good tortoise breeder in NY state near Oneonta. He keeps and breeds a number of species which do well in upstate NY. Perhaps you could arrange a visit to his place with your son which might arouse an interest in your son for a more manageable species for your area.

There is another very good breeder in the Albany area who has a fantastic set-up for his tortoises and could give you many good ideas/suggestions. It would be worthwhile visiting him as well. If you do get to go there, your son might even take a liking to Radiated Tortoises and forget about the Aldabra idea. The Radiateds aren't as large as the Aldabras (30-35 lbs for an adult), but are more colorful and quite attractive.

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Hi, nice to read your story ! I felt a lot of empathy when you talked about getting the actual breed of animal from the get go. I always wanted a dog as a child and my parents wouldn’t allow it. As soon as I had a large house and large garden I decided that I wanted an Irish wolfhound. So many people said it wasn’t the dog for me and I should get a Labrador . I listened to them and got a fantastic lab, however several wolfhounds later I should have just followed my instincts. I think you should nurture the interest that your son has in having an Aldabra.
I have two beautiful healthy 4 year old Aldabras as well as 4 Sulcatas and 2 Herman’s . I also live in the very north of England where the weather can be less kind. However as long as their housing and diet is correct, and they have plenty of room to roam then it’s a no-brainer. Good luck…. Lots of sound advice on this forum. I wish you well.
using your dog analogy , having placed a lot of dogs , an 8week old puppy is not hard to place ..... when someone decides they no longer can handle that 8week old puppy when it's 2-3yrs old and 170lbs , with habits it has acquired in those formative years ,it's not so easy ...........if it was your first dog , the lab was a good idea...... had you found that dogs did not fit your life style , and a great many new dog owners find that out after they experience a dog ..... a lab is a lot easier to place than a wofhound ....

i've placed a lot of puppies and i evolved to the point i would not place one with anyone who was getting their first dog ......

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
using your dog analogy , having placed a lot of dogs , an 8week old puppy is not hard to place ..... when someone decides they no longer can handle that 8week old puppy when it's 2-3yrs old and 170lbs , with habits it has acquired in those formative years ,it's not so easy ...........if it was your first dog , the lab was a good idea...... had you found that dogs did not fit your life style , and a great many new dog owners find that out after they experience a dog ..... a lab is a lot easier to place than a wofhound ....

i've placed a lot of puppies and i evolved to the point i would not place one with anyone who was getting their first dog ......
I take your po

I take your point, however it’s a difficult call to try match a puppy with an owner. Sometimes the potential owner may well be fully prepared and clued up and spent a lot of time doing their research. I didn’t want to “try a dog out” that would be irresponsible so I was very well prepared to have two brothers from the same litter. They are now both 8 and live with our family in a safe and enclosed 5 hectare garden with torts, fowl etc. (plus my other dogs who are chiauauas )I was just trying to make the point that if you have a naive potential owner then maybe a very large tortoise may not suit. However if you have enthusiasm, space and knowledge (and money) then it shouldn’t be discouraged. I love my Aldabras as well as my other tortoises… as an individual … make informed choices and support the ones who have the desire to make a good home and comfortably look after them.

RiverOtter

Upstate NY
Thank you Zovick - I'm actually not too terribly far from Oneonta, I'm right by the border of Sullivan and Ulster counties.

To answer your questions - pigs. I am down to 2 minis right now, but I raised pigs for years. Pigs hit 250-300 lbs in less than a year. Like tortoises, they are stubborn, dig like excavators are much stronger than most give them credit for and (happily) believe that a barrier that can't be seen through can't be passed through. Unlike tortoises, they are also surprisingly fast and agile, occasionally carnivorous, and - contrary to what you read on the internet, while the average pig is nowhere near as smart as the average dog, they're certainly smarter than one might want them to be. A breeding sow weighs between 450 and 1000lbs. When a pig comes down with a case of Don't Wanna, Not Gonna, you use a pig board to say Not Here. It looks and works like this; https://familyfarmlivestock.com/what-is-a-pig-sorting-board-how-to-use-it/
Three sorting boards fastened in a U makes a pig box - the only way out is forward and you just follow along.
Then, for the truly tremendous and stubborn, there is the skid box, and all that means is basically the box that the animal is used to sleeping or eating in, when you build it, you build it on heavy wooden skids so you can hook the tractor to it and move it. Which works brilliantly for rotating pigs through pastures, will catch and move a pig who's decided he's feral exactly once and would likely be just as helpful for rotating tortoise pens and, in a pinch, moving a giant with a case of Don't Wanna.
But, it's only a 4 foot rise out of the basement and I'm sure if the ramp was set, the door was open and the animal wanted to move, it would. And if it didn't want to, I'd be more concerned with figuring out why than with making it do so.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You have a really blessed son 🤗. It looks to me like you have made up your mind.😁🐢 Best wishes with your endeavor.😊.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you Zovick - I'm actually not too terribly far from Oneonta, I'm right by the border of Sullivan and Ulster counties.

To answer your questions - pigs. I am down to 2 minis right now, but I raised pigs for years. Pigs hit 250-300 lbs in less than a year. Like tortoises, they are stubborn, dig like excavators are much stronger than most give them credit for and (happily) believe that a barrier that can't be seen through can't be passed through. Unlike tortoises, they are also surprisingly fast and agile, occasionally carnivorous, and - contrary to what you read on the internet, while the average pig is nowhere near as smart as the average dog, they're certainly smarter than one might want them to be. A breeding sow weighs between 450 and 1000lbs. When a pig comes down with a case of Don't Wanna, Not Gonna, you use a pig board to say Not Here. It looks and works like this; https://familyfarmlivestock.com/what-is-a-pig-sorting-board-how-to-use-it/
Three sorting boards fastened in a U makes a pig box - the only way out is forward and you just follow along.
Then, for the truly tremendous and stubborn, there is the skid box, and all that means is basically the box that the animal is used to sleeping or eating in, when you build it, you build it on heavy wooden skids so you can hook the tractor to it and move it. Which works brilliantly for rotating pigs through pastures, will catch and move a pig who's decided he's feral exactly once and would likely be just as helpful for rotating tortoise pens and, in a pinch, moving a giant with a case of Don't Wanna.
But, it's only a 4 foot rise out of the basement and I'm sure if the ramp was set, the door was open and the animal wanted to move, it would. And if it didn't want to, I'd be more concerned with figuring out why than with making it do so.
The pig board is a great invention. It seems things have come a long way in pig farming since I was a lad.

Coincidentally, I worked on the largest pig farm in CT in the 1960's (Secchiaroli's in Waterford which is still operating today) and we used bushel baskets to hold over the sows' heads to keep them at bay while we gathered up their male piglets for castration (performed by the owners with a straight razor on a 2 x 12 board laid across the tops of the stalls). By the time two or three stalls had been done, the sows were wise to the fact that their piglets were going to be hurt somehow and became quite nasty and harder to manage. By the time we reached the end of the barn, the sows were quite hard to keep under control. My job was getting into the stalls and grabbing the baby pigs with one hand while holding the basket over the mother's head with the other hand.

I once saw a huge sow leap over the side of a 4' high stall and bite one of my co-workers in the bicep while he was moving the castration board to the next stalls.

Inoculating the piglets (by a vet) required pretty much the same technique, but thankfully the sows did not get quite as upset on the inoculation days.

If you want the names and contact info for the two people I mentioned, let me know. I will send them to you in a PM.