My 2014 South African Leos Growth Charts

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida Suncoast
There are so many posts on TFO from people asking about growth rates of their leos... "what is normal?" etc. so I thought I would post the growth charts of my 4 SAs that hatched in August 2014 so people can see some examples.

I named them Tri Dot, Clover, Mancha, Tiny II for now and they arrived to my care on 9.25.14.

These are from the same breeder but not necessarily clutch mates as the breeder has a dozen adults and ground hatches them.

My 4 have lived together from hatching and have received the same husbandry yet the growth rates vary dramatically. There are lots of theories and speculations about factors that contribute to the different growth rates of individuals and they can all come in to play with this group of 4 but at the end of the day, I think that simply put some just grow faster that others.

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 3.06.18 PM.png

And here is how they look in real life...

IMG_20151217_151546.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
They all look spectacular! Thanks so much for the update Michael. I need to grab a paper towel to clean up my droll from the left one lol

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I know this is old thread @MichaelS , but that left leopard make me hard not to comment. SA with that white!!!
Btw i really like that you update their progress, what is their spl and wight now. pics please.
Thank a lot!!!

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
I know this is old thread @MichaelS , but that left leopard make me hard not to comment. SA with that white!!!
Btw i really like that you update their progress, what is their spl and wight now. pics please.
Thank a lot!!!

I can't believe it has been almost a year since I made this post.

Here is an updated growth chart. TriDot has gotten a name change to Rosie by my young daughter. Also this group is turning male with Rosie, Clover and Mancha all being male. I'm still hopeful that Tiny II (a.k.a. Titi ) is female due to her very slow yet steady growth.

Rosie my 'super grower' has halted growth the last couple of months but appears healthy in all respects. Could be a seasonal slowdown due to the cooler weather here in North Texas.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.40.09 PM.png

I'll try to post some new pics soon.

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
Thank you for sharing this. I have two leopards myself that are now 16 and 19 months old. They are growing at similar rates but are still closer to Tiny II's size. This at least makes me feel better knowing it can vary and still be normal.
I have a few Sulcatas and boy do they grow at much faster rates. My 14 month old is already three times the size of my leopards. Same care.

Attachments

• IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 23

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Here's My Little Guy's

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 5.52.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 5.52.10 PM.png
    138 KB · Views: 30

Socaleopards

5 Year Member
Could you or anyone point me in the direction of where to get real South African leopards not hybrids. Thanks

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Could you or anyone point me in the direction of where to get real South African leopards not hybrids. Thanks

Make sure you seek out a trusted SA leo breeder who has Randy Limburg stock. To my knowledge, he is the only one who maintained his SA leo stock, that he imported in the 1990's, isolated for breeding. As he said @Tom has a young breeding group (Limburg stock) and eggs cooking which I am anxiously awaiting their availability;)

tomoyuki honda

5 Year Member
There are so many posts on TFO from people asking about growth rates of their leos... "what is normal?" etc. so I thought I would post the growth charts of my 4 SAs that hatched in August 2014 so people can see some examples.

I named them Tri Dot, Clover, Mancha, Tiny II for now and they arrived to my care on 9.25.14.

These are from the same breeder but not necessarily clutch mates as the breeder has a dozen adults and ground hatches them.

My 4 have lived together from hatching and have received the same husbandry yet the growth rates vary dramatically. There are lots of theories and speculations about factors that contribute to the different growth rates of individuals and they can all come in to play with this group of 4 but at the end of the day, I think that simply put some just grow faster that others.

View attachment 159021

And here is how they look in real life...

View attachment 159022
How beautiful guys ‼︎

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
Thanks for the post and the follow up. It's amazing the difference in size between the largest (Rosie) and the smallest (Tiny II).