My 3 year isn't eating

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi guys, I'm really worried about Moe. She stopped eating yesterday and started making grunting noises. She has a heated closed chamber inside enclosure that stays at 85-90 degrees and 90 humidity at night.
She goes outside during the day when temps are warm enough to graze on weeds and grass.
She gets some Mazuri with her hay but her diet is mainly hay and weeds. Any suggests or ideas would be great. She is currently in a warm soak

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just to be sure, I will ask this question. Have you double checked the temps and humidity since she hasn't eaten? If that is all right, then I would just keep a closer eye on her. One day is not a big deal at all. The grunting though, not sure what you mean by that. Maybe @Yvonne G or @Tom knows what your meaning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I had a tortoise with those symptoms I would have to assume that it was blocked up...either constipated or stones. If you don't want to go to the vet for first hand opinion, then put the tortoise into the human bath tub (lots of room to scramble) add warm water and leave it in there for an hour or so. You want the tortoise to scramble around trying to get out. This gets things moving inside and helps them come out.

If this doesn't work, off to the vet.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Ok. Back in the warm bath she goes. I don't have a bath tub, but I have a Rubbermaid container big enough for her to scramble around in

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Well, no grunting, but no poop :(

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Well, the bath didn't produce anything :( As soon as Moe went back into her enclosure, she went into her hide and started grunted again. This time she closes her eyes. I think it's time for the vet

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Update:
Moe is a 18 pound girl that is going in for radiographs to see if she is constipated, has bladder stones, or if she has ingested anything.
Finger crossed she's constipated

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Well, no poop this morning:(
Moe does seem a little more improved even though she hasn't eaten. She is soaking now and will receive another later. She does seem more active but I'm not sure if that's the pain meds

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Can you Take him ( her) for a long walk outside. I know my king will poop a ton after a hour walk around the block. good luck with her

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I soaked her twice a week and I would occasionally see her drink.
She is mainly on hays, grass and weeds. She is on a little Mazuri and Herbal hay sprinkled on it.

Right now she is being soaked twice a day and her appetite and activity level is coming back, but I'm still not seeing and poop. Is it possible I'm missing something?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Can you Take him ( her) for a long walk outside. I know my king will poop a ton after a hour walk around the block. good luck with her
I've been taking her out for long walks and she loves them. But we are still not seeing any poop

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like more soaks would help and adding some succulents like cactus pads or aloe to the diet might help in the future too.

In the mean time, long warm soaks, long walks and car rides are usually good ways to get things moving. If it were my tortoise I might try to shoot some mineral oil up the cloaca too. Enlist the help of someone with experience if you aren't sure of what equipment and technique would be needed for this.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sounds like more soaks would help and adding some succulents like cactus pads or aloe to the diet might help in the future too.

In the mean time, long warm soaks, long walks and car rides are usually good ways to get things moving. If it were my tortoise I might try to shoot some mineral oil up the cloaca too. Enlist the help of someone with experience if you aren't sure of what equipment and technique would be needed for this.
Ok great! I have no idea how to shoot the mineral oil up the cloaca, so I'm going to need help with that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok great! I have no idea how to shoot the mineral oil up the cloaca, so I'm going to need help with that

There are several good vets in the Phoenix area. Look for Dr. Funk. He's a great guy and a great tortoise vet.

Or send a PM to @Neal or @Grandpa Turtle 144 or @immayo . I'll bet they know several good ones in the area.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
There are several good vets in the Phoenix area. Look for Dr. Funk. He's a great guy and a great tortoise vet.

Or send a PM to @Neal or @Grandpa Turtle 144 or @immayo . I'll bet they know several good ones in the area.
Thank you so much Tom!
I just came inside to report I found 3 turds laying in the yard after our 40minute car ride

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much Tom!
I just came inside to report I found 3 turds laying in the yard after our 40minute car ride

Whew! That's a relief. Okay. Current problem solved, now we move on to prevention of future problems.

More soaks, more succulents, less dry hay until she's bigger.

Good luck and keep us posted.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Whew! That's a relief. Okay. Current problem solved, now we move on to prevention of future problems.

More soaks, more succulents, less dry hay until she's bigger.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Ok :) I'm still concerned about her appetite. It's not 100percent. Will it come back as she passes more poop?