My 30 pound sulcata is constipated what can i do

brandonhuston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs
Tank my awsome boy sulcata is about 30 pounds now and he has been all bowled up. He has been eating although not as much as normal but that may be because the weather has changed were i live and i have had to bring him inside all day. He has a heated insulated cage i keep him. Is there anything i should try myself or should i get him to a vet.

Melis

Maryland
Hello!
Are you soaking him? Also, what size enclosure is he in? They need to have lots of room to walk around to get digestion going. What do you feed him?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello!
Are you soaking him? Also, what size enclosure is he in? They need to have lots of room to walk around to get digestion going. What do you feed him?

Soaking
Exercise
Proper heat/humidity

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Soaking, room to walk, proper temperatures. For food - definitely a few cactus pads and fruit, some aloe vera pads washed and cut up in chunks as well. The cactus, cactus fruit and aloe SHOULD help!

63D91171-5EBA-4F4F-9512-93B9ADBACF02.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What has been said above is what should be your tortoise's daily life. . . especially the exercise part, but to get things going now, place the tortoise in your human bath tub, add enough water to come up to the middle of his sides, and leave him in there. You want to leave him there long enough that he gets impatient and starts to scramble around, trying to get out. Think hours, not minutes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A big Sulcata like that needs loads of space. Exercise, diet and hydration are the key to pooping.

Your tort should have a large outside exercise area and night box for warmth especially in winter.

Diet must include plenty of fibre from grazed grass and/or hay.

Water must be freely available in some sort of container that your Sulcata can walk right through and self soak in.

This tort is heading for 150lb so getting the outdoor setup correct is vital