My 600 lb. Three Toe Box Turtle (not really)

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, Alabama
How do you know if your over feeding and your box turtle is fat? Or to be politically correct, just not looking so slim.
Gerry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They don't get fat with a proper space enclosure. With the proper space, and substrate, etc, they should be able to get enough exercise to not get over weight.
Also feeding the right foods and balanced. Too much sugar/fruits and not enough of the other stuff they are suppose to be fed is not good.
Feed enough they can graze all day.
With Box turtles, let them find their bugs and worms. Feeding in a plate in one spot doesn't let them search for their food which is good for them to do.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
They don't get fat with a proper space enclosure. With the proper space, and substrate, etc, they should be able to get enough exercise to not get over weight.
Also feeding the right foods and balanced. Too much sugar/fruits and not enough of the other stuff they are suppose to be fed is not good.
Feed enough they can graze all day.
With Box turtles, let them find their bugs and worms. Feeding in a plate in one spot doesn't let them search for their food which is good for them to do.
Thank you, Max is a year old now and he’s like a kid, he wont eat his vegetables. I guess I just need to back off more on his daily meals and Let him get hungry enough to try the vegetables.
Gerry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you, Max is a year old now and he’s like a kid, he wont eat his vegetables. I guess I just need to back off more on his daily meals and Let him get hungry enough to try the vegetables.
Gerry
Better to get creative. Chop veggies up and mix in with his favorite foods. As he gets used to eating this, use more veggies and less fave until he is willing to eat the veggies on their own.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Better to get creative. Chop veggies up and mix in with his favorite foods. As he gets used to eating this, use more veggies and less fave until he is willing to eat the veggies on their own.
I tried that a couple of times. He picked out the favorites. I just need to stick with it.
Thanks Gerry