My $7 above-tank basking area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I needed a temporary above tank basking area. I am in the middle of moving, and I haven't been able to haul my big tank in to my new house yet, so I have three of my turtles temporarily in a 30 tall and one in a 20.

I was looking for something I could do fast.

Materials -

Sterilite storage container, I don't remember how may gallons but the bottom measures 12 X 18" and it is 12" tall. $4.99 at Walmart

Textured shelf liner, $1 at Dollar Tree

Epoxy, $1 at Dollar Tree

Sand paper

stainless steel rack out of an old Boekel box style incubator that I have

packing tape

Method -

I cut the bottom of the tub so that half was open, and cut a notch out of the back for the filter. I drilled three holes in the edge near the cut with a knife and zip tied the stainless steel rack to it, so that it hung down as a ramp. Then I used the sand paper to rough up the surface of the basking area, and epoxyed the shelf liner in place. Once all the fumes were gone, I placed it over the tank and taped it in place with clear packing tape.

It isn't fancy, but it certainly works.

DSCF7863.jpg

Please excuse the water in this one, they had just got done with a messy meal of greens when I took this, and the filter had not caught up yet. The water usually doesn't look that dirty. The white bits are cuttlebone.

DSCF7866.jpg

Anyway, I have enough shelf liner left for ten of these things, and enough epoxy for probably three more, so if I make more of them, they will only cost $5 each!

Kristina

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I used to bring in mine (Painteds) for the winter and that would have been a great idea. I had to make a little pond in my basement. Very ingenious. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.