My Ad on Craigslist

whisper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE FL
I just put an ad on Craigslist to sell our 3 yr old sulcata. I've put found ads up before but this is my first for sale. I already have a response within 12 hours. How do I make sure this guy isn't a lunatic, a reseller and that they are telling me the truth? I'm in FL. Any tips? Is there a thread? I searched didn't find one. Thx

Miesha

I'd suggest you ask questions you can often tell by the persons answers and responses if their a nice person, maybe ask if they have the set up and if so can you have some pictures to see if its suitable. See if they have any past experience with tortoises and the basic knowledge.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes ask him about, where the tortoise is going to live, size, shelter, security (escape proof). Ask about what he plans for feed and water. It is hard to sell an animal you care about, but you have to let go, you have to transfer the responsibility to the new owner. It's hard, I wish I could keep them all. But the wife doesn't.

Miesha

Most people honestly just have positive intentions like myself when i brought my two, i waited years before i actually got them due to my age my mum wanted to ensure i actually wanted them and it wasn't just a 'stage'. After proving/wanting one for basically all my life i finally got TWO:), but sadly not everyone has that positive intention or if they do they are unable to truly care of one.
I'm sure after asking the right questions you will have a rough idea, if your guts telling you no then i would suggest you go with that feeling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're up for it, you might ask if you can come meet them and see where the tortoise is going to live. I always do a yard inspection when I adopt out my rescues. If they are legit, they should welcome you .

Miesha

When i got mine the shelter asked for pictures of where they will be staying, my garden space, if I've had any tortoises before (or any other pets I have atm) and a load more questions.

turtlemanfla88

Also make sure you never do this alone. Have at least one friend or someone with you. I would do a home inspection and make a list of questions to ask. If they do not meet your standards you can say something like I also have a couple of other people interested and I will get back with you. That is if you are there in person.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
lots and lots and lots of crazy nut jobs on Craigslist don't ever meet them at your house pick a police station to do the transaction. any halfway intelligent person is not going to let you come to their house too many crazy nut jobs on both sides of the isle. did I mention the crazy nut jobs? Also lots of flakes you'll get a lot of responses and no follow up.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I wouldn't use Craigslist for an animal. I'd try the forum and then would try to find someone through 'networking'. If you have a vet you've used, or even a pet store.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello. I'm also in S.E Florida. I generally ask to see pictures of the new enclosures unless speaking to them on the phone makes them sounds like they really know their stuff.
Things like "what do you feed them?" And where will you be keeping them also help. If selling.. I also use a pretty large price to weed out the jerks and then once I feel I have an appropriate buyer lined up, and I've met them, I'll drop the price to make the deal.
Craigslist is FULL of scammers and strange individuals. But mixed in there are some really great folks.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Nut jobs everywhere, hats off to dmmj for the warning. I find Craigslist to have higher proportion of flakes than most places. By flakes I mean people who will dodge your interest to buy or sell, like some magic will make the transaction go forward, not their effort. Count on dozens of short incomplete responses and exchanges before it will happen if it does. I've even encountered this when giving things away for free, left on my driveway, with no required interpersonal interaction. The internet has made many people much more xenophobic. They defend their avatar self from their real self. Just is. It's a new kind of the same thing road rage is, only now the shield between us is more cryptic.

(By the way, I'm 6'4" weigh 180#, make 2.3mK a year and give lots of gifts to the ladies. My mechanic's Ferrari is slower than my Lamborghini. When I broke up with Parris Hilton she agreed to my terms. NOT)

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
When I adopted my sully out I talked to the lady on the phone for about 20 minutes -- she was only too happy to tell me about herself and the setup she had. I could tell right away she had experience and turns out she had other sullys. She also send me several pics of her enclosures...so I felt good about her. Even now, after a couple months, she sends me pics of how he's doing. . She also invited me to come out and check her enclosures before I decided. Most experienced owners will reassure you and be more than happy to answer any questions you have and even invite you to see their torts living areas or send you pics. Like someone said earlier follow your gut feeling. We only want the best for them and want to feel good about the person adopting them -- and most people understand that.

AnimalLady

Ive never sold a tort on craigslist, but I have sold puppies and rabbits. I do home inspections. If they are not down for the home inspection, then something isnt right. I had to be very careful when selling the rabbits, a lot of people use them to feed their snakes, dogs, etc. It was tiresome, but at the end of the day i KNOW i gave it my all... some people still send me update pix, and I love them!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Ive never sold a tort on craigslist, but I have sold puppies and rabbits. I do home inspections. If they are not down for the home inspection, then something isnt right. I had to be very careful when selling the rabbits, a lot of people use them to feed their snakes, dogs, etc. It was tiresome, but at the end of the day i KNOW i gave it my all... some people still send me update pix, and I love them!
something isn't right? sorry I don't let strangers from Craigslist come to my house no matter what.

AnimalLady

something isn't right? sorry I don't let strangers from Craigslist come to my house no matter what.
Well then, you fall in the category "something isnt right"

Whatever their reasoning, thats fine, if I cant do a home inspection, NEXT!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes to something that isn't right is too many people have died from meeting strangers on Craigslist I don't need an animal that badly

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Would you allow someone to inspect your home to see how you keep the animals they are thinking about buying?