My adoption went through. I have a sulcata.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Here he is. Meet Otis the Tortoise. I love him already. I can't wait until he gets to love me, too. I am waiting on confirmation of age. He weighs 22 lbs, is 17 inches long. He has been here 3 days and is eating well, sleeping in his house by choice, and exploring his environment. He currently sleeps about 17+ hours a day. Is that typical at this point? How long will it take for him to respond to me like he is happy to see me: coming to me, looking for me when he hears his name or my voice, etc?

IMG_5737.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats hes a handsome fella.
I dont own a Sully. But 17 hours a day seems like too much. My leopards are out from around 10a.m. to 6-7p.m. then tuck in for the night.
However, you just got him and he does need time too get adjusted to his new home and space and his new food God. Adults can adjust fairly quickly but I found usually not as fast as a younger one. Just he sure he eats and more importantly drinks every day.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Congrats hes a handsome fella.
I dont own a Sully. But 17 hours a day seems like too much. My leopards are out from around 10a.m. to 6-7p.m. then tuck in for the night.
However, you just got him and he does need time too get adjusted to his new home and space and his new food God. Adults can adjust fairly quickly but I found usually not as fast as a younger one. Just he sure he eats and more importantly drinks every day.
Thank you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If he’s totally full, happy and not trying to break out, sitting and watching the world go by is what they do well. Our Sully will be in her nice warm house, snuggled into mulch bed. When the time is right, she’ll mozy out, stick head out the door, spend time looking and smelling, then out to eat, graze, bask in some sun.

Give your guy time to adjust. Easy does it. They respond WELL to food.

Good luck.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congratulations! He is a handsome guy! I dont know that anyone can answer your question on How long... I think all torts are different.. But He’s a lucky dude and he will come around. Good luck!

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
He seems to be adjusting well. He’s not digging. Goes in and out of his house on his own. Loves cactus, the grasses in his pen and the ones I cut for him fresh daily. Yes I spoil him. He pooped normal. Doesn’t like to soak. Does like to sit in his house in the shade and watch the world go by.

His shell looks dry and has cracks that look like they are from growth. Do I need to put anything on his shell? Do I need to force him to soak every couple of days? I do provide cuttle bones and tort food also. He has only eaten a little of those. He eats lots of what I grow for him.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think 22lbs is on the lighter side for 17", so I wouldnt be surprised if he bulked up a bit. If you don't feed Mazuri, I'd give it some consideration. I'd soak a new tortoise at first even if it was an adult, and didn't 'need' regular soaks. That way you can more sure that he is well hydrated and start with a good baseline.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
If he’s totally full, happy and not trying to break out, sitting and watching the world go by is what they do well. Our Sully will be in her nice warm house, snuggled into mulch bed. When the time is right, she’ll mozy out, stick head out the door, spend time looking and smelling, then out to eat, graze, bask in some sun.

Give your guy time to adjust. Easy does it. They respond WELL to food.

Good luck.
Moxying our in his own in his own time is exactly what Otis does.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I think 22lbs is on the lighter side for 17", so I wouldnt be surprised if he bulked up a bit. If you don't feed Mazuri, I'd give it some consideration. I'd soak a new tortoise at first even if it was an adult, and didn't 'need' regular soaks. That way you can more sure that he is well hydrated and start with a good baseline.
I do feed him mazuri but he has not eaten much of it. MAzuri says it is for box turtles too and has quite a bit of protein. The zoo med tort food has less protein and is torts only. Is mazuri better?
I will continue soaking every few days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I do feed him mazuri but he has not eaten much of it. MAzuri says it is for box turtles too and has quite a bit of protein. The zoo med tort food has less protein and is torts only. Is mazuri better?
I like the Zoo Med but it's too expensive to feed the amount of large tortoises I have.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA

Please look at Mazuri Formula Number: 5M21

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

I haven't seen anything about calories/energy but I'd think that Mazuri is more nutrient dense because of the additional protein vs Zoo Med having more fiber. Because of that, I think Mazuri is better for new/rescue animals. The extra fiber in Zoo Med is probably better as a long term diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
THank you. I found that. I will order some right away. I have Mazuri Tort food LS. Says it is for sulcatas but he will not eat it. I want to take very good care of him.
Quite a few of our members' tortoises don't like the Mazuri LS.