My Albino RES Pond *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Here is my new pond for the 4" Albino RES female. Now that I'm housing her at home the family is trying to come up with a name. Any suggestions?? :)

The pond is a 2'x3' cement mixing tub. 10" deep or so. The pen enclosure is 5'x3.5' and angled a little smaller on the other end. My plan was to have the pen flush with the concrete walkway but as you can see, I was a bit off. Oops. Oh well :rolleyes: What do you want from a stay at home Mom? LOL

eg3z4.jpg

53lfn7.jpg

2888eio.jpg

Silly girl likes to be in and bury herself in the dirt
2lu9v0i.jpg

I made a lid to keep her safe. I have to admit, I hate it. A lid makes it so ugly and you can't enjoy the beauty of the pen. My Russian and Leopard pens are "lid-less" and I love it. BUT despite my dis like for the cosmetics of the lid I know it's in her best interest to be covered, so she is ;)
6z359i.jpg

I wanted clearance for the plants and grasses so the lid is 6" tall
2r7r4m9.jpg

ehy8ic.jpg

Here you can see it is across from my Leopard pen
yct38.jpg

I have a filter rated for 40gallons. Should be enough, I think
o6zdwp.jpg

She burrowed down in the base of these grasses for bed. Thought they slept in water?
2yopai9.jpg

The happy resident
10cko7d.jpg

Can you see her back there?? :)
30j3fhs.jpg

For anyone who followed her history in the other posts, I'm going to keep feeding her in a separate tub daily so I know she is eating and can put on weight. She seems happy. I'm still learning about aquatics so if you see anything I need to fix/improve/adjust let me know.
Oh I am on the hunt for some water lettuce or water hyacinth, too.

Thanks for looking :D

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
Beautiful enclosure and more importantly what a majestic turtle, she may not know it but she is very lucky! How did you ever get a albino on your hands? Not exactly a common thing:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks Puckles :)

She was sent to me from another TFO member, Gerards. I had set up a 125gallon turtle tank in a special needs classroom and he sent her to us for that tank. She started to loose weight and I had a hard time getting her to eat. After some feeding complications it was decided among us (the staff and myself) that I'd house her at home so she could be monitored and fed in a separate tub daily.
So far she has been eating when put into the tub. I'll be tracking her weight weekly and see how things go.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This morning I checked on her and she was still buried in the dirt. I did some googling and read that the RES buries itself for hibernating? Well being summer in so Cal isn't really fitting into that equation lol.

I left her there and plan to keep checking back while I do some more reading up on that behavior. Any insight on that from you guys?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I love it!!! I may copy it for my little spotted turtles! As for names I like Blanca. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Spotteds? Don't think I've seen those yet.
Copy away!

Any thoughts on her burying in the dirt?

Heather

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I would bet that she buries herself because she is an albino, since her skin is easily burnt she is probably hiding from the sun.

Beautiful enclosure by the way, as for it not lining up with the walkway, now you have room to plant something else around it haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You did a great job. I like the name Casper. Sorry, I can't help with the buried in the dirt. Unless she is trying to lay eggs? Turtles can lay eggs even though they have never matted.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
another reason she is hiding could be since she is blind (I believe I read that in one of your other posts) she feels more secure hiding with something completely around her that she can feel touching her rather than just hiding under something.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Team Gomberg said:
Thanks everyone.

Casper is to much a boy name :p i need a girlie name!

Heather

Kasper :p:D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I no longer have albino res, but when I did, one stayed under ground from the previous fall until late summer the next year. I had given up hope after searching everywhere for it, but one day it was in the pond looking great. I believe yours looks like "Alice" In Wonderland. Very nice enclosure for her to grow up in.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Len, that's interesting. Underground that long huh? Is it an albino thing then?

My best friend just named her newborn daughter Alice after Alice in Wonderland. (the one I made the turtle diaper cake for)

Heather

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Beautiful enclosure, and beautiful turtle. You did a really amazing job with the build. Love it!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks :) it was fun to build. I did it all on my own. So if I can do it, anyone can!

We are leaning towards the name Lily. I liked Tinkerbell but my husband and boys think that name is just too girlie lol.

Heather

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
She is probably burring herself because she is not happy in her cage. They have no problems living outside being a albino. They don't get burned or get eye problems. I would take her out and put get in the water until she gets use to it. Still take her out and feed her in a seperate tub so you can see her eat and stick to the sinking zoomed pellets. Don't give her and of the other "treats", the zoomed has everything. Also, they're not blind, just see things different when young. I have hundreds of albino turtles outside year round. They change after a year and a half so just keep doing what you're doing. She will learn.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks Gerards.

I pulled her from the dirt yesterday and put her in the water. She stayed in it all day and slept in there last night.
My local pet store was out of stock on the food when I went. They wilI have it soon.

I'm daily feeding her in a separate tub.

I'm still on the hunt for water hyacinth. I think having plant cover will help her feel secure.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys posted!

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.