My Baby ate dog poop!!!!!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
No, it was not intentional! Today was a beautiful day in Florida. I decided to take Milo outside for a short trip around the yard. I do have a mini dachshund, and I checked for poop ahead of time.
I sat in my swing, and watched my little guy, who is now 2 months and 24 days, and weighs 115 grams. He was so cute! Running around....and then for the first time, I really saw him grazing on the grass. That little neck stretched out, and down...really tugging on the grass. I was such a proud sully mom!!! :D
I noticed him snapping at the dry leaves...oh how cute! Then he settled down, and was really chomping....ugh, it was one small poop that I over looked.:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably not the end of the world. Is your dog on any medication, like heart worm preventative?

This is one reason why I don't let the dogs in the tortoise area, or the tortoises in the dog area.

BTW, Your baby looks fantastic. Exceptionally gorgeous.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Yes, she is taking Heartgard. I grabbed him up, as soon as I realized it was poop. I hope he will be ok. ):

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scm133 said:
Yes, she is taking Heartgard. I grabbed him up, as soon as I realized it was poop. I hope he will be ok. ):

Sounds like its time to make an enclosure where the dog is not allowed...

Here is an idea for that: Of course in your neck of the woods it will be all green and lush instead of brown, barren and ugly...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I'm just jealous you could bring your Sulcata outside today. It's 30* and snowing in MI lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am very particular about picking up the dog poop...in fact sometimes I'm standing there behind Misty with the shovel, waiting for her to finish.

Yesterday I noticed my two P.pardalis 3yr olds eating something together. Upon closer inspection, it was a very fresh pile of DOG POOP!!! UGH!!! It was smeared all over their faces.

I know they probably eat that sort of thing in the wild, and they were really eating with gusto!, but I don't like to see it.

I hope little Milo didn't get enough of the heart medication to cause him any problems. No torty kisses for you, huh? Yuck!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I'm in North Texas and we have been under house arrest for the last month with temps well below the 80's! We did go to Houston a few weeks ago and get some outdoor time but it was short lived. I was going to let them run around the back yard but they seem to be drawn to the poop so we compromised and built a playpen and put them in the front yard, lol.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Embarrassed....I actually have a very nice outdoor enclosure for Milo. Today, I just put him next to my swing to I could enjoy him closeup. Lesson learned!! He is back in his indoor enclosure, and munching on some good green stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't be embarrassed. Keep posting pics of your baby as he grows. He a good looking tortoise.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Thanks, Tom. The only reason that he is doing so good, is all your great information. So glad to have found this forum. More pictures will come. :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh, they eat poop, no matter whose it is! My dog eats poop too. He ate the torts poop, and the torts eat his poop. The whole back yard belongs to the tortoises. I'm not letting my dog go in the yard again! It's so vile and gross. My torts breath smells like pure, unadulterated, cow manure. I actually took a baby brush to his mouth!
ascott said:
Ewww, whoever heard of a tort eating poo....grossssssss :p:p