My baby cherry head has trouble eating. Please help :(

selviester

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
BA4A5BC7-EC54-4C14-83D2-0AE86C95A22B.jpeg E738C00E-11DC-46A5-BDAE-DA267769DE97.jpeg B18358E6-153A-4DC3-9EB2-B566AB523F19.jpeg 36ADFF88-5737-41C7-AE87-2DF2114863F0.jpeg Hi all,

I adopted a baby cherry head last wednesday and decided to call him Kimchi.

He has been having problems eating. First few days I brought him home, he would eat small hibiscus leaves and flowers, but next day he wouldnt even touch it. Then he would eat small bites of veggies and small bites of fruits then leaves.
Today he doesnt touch his food at all.

It has been cloudy for the past few days and I understand this has some effect on reptiles.

I tried everything, from greens to strawberry, papaya, watermelon and even Repcal (because the previous owner tells me he feeds him with those)
He would only nibble 2-3 then goes back to his cave and stays there all day till evening.

When I took him out he would roam around and eating weeds. But then next day he stopped and ignored the weeds he normally liked.
He poops daily and he drinks a lot.

Another friend adopted same cherry head from same batch and his is eating like crazy. I have no idea what I have done wrong. People think he is still adapting but it has been over a week. I am now sad and worried.

I am attaching his pictures now, he is about 6cm and 56 grams :(
Please help what I should do? What have I done wrong? I have tried feeding him everything. I have made the temperature just the way they like, never gets above 30celcius and humidity is also good (always around 70-90%).

Please help me. It makes me sad to see this lil guy only digs and hides in the cave all day :(

Changa

Ca
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0BzByukvse5LO-HBTHhK5dXeA
View attachment 256561 View attachment 256562 View attachment 256563 View attachment 256564 Hi all,

He has been having problems eating. First few days I brought him home, he would eat small hibiscus leaves and flowers, but next day he wouldnt even touch it. Then he would eat small bites of veggies and small bites of fruits then leaves.

It has been cloudy for the past few days and I understand this has some effect on reptiles.

I tried everything, from greens to strawberry, papaya, watermelon and even Repcal (because the previous owner tells me he feeds him with those)
He would only nibble 2-3 then goes back to his cave and stays there all day till evening.

When I took him out he would roam around and eating weeds. But then next day he stopped and ignored the weeds he normally liked.

Another friend adopted same cherry head from same batch and his is eating like crazy. I have no idea what I have done wrong. People think he is still adapting but it has been over a week. I am now sad and worried.

Please help what I should do? What have I done wrong? I have tried feeding him everything. I have made the temperature just the way they like, never gets above 30celcius and humidity is also good (always around 70-90%).

Please help me. It makes me sad to see this lil guy only digs and hides in the cave all day :(
Hey i am new to my Sulcatas
My one year would eat a little when I first bought her home and now look I am no expert I am sure the vet will come on board answer ur concerns

Changa

Ca
Hey I am no expert bbut my little one Sulcata didn’t eat much but now she is
I am sure the vet will come onboard to answer ur concerns
I wanted to show u my little one but can’t seem upload the video

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause of baby-not-eating is he's not warm enough. Unless a tortoise can get his inner core temperature up in the 80'sF, the food won't digest, so they don't eat. And I can tell from your wide open enclosure that he's not warm enough. Even if the room he's in is 80F degrees, he still needs a light or a heat source where he can sit and soak up the heat.

My suggestion to you is to make the sides of the enclosure higher and cover it, and place a light or Ceramic Heat Emitter over it inside the cover.

Changa

Ca
View attachment 256561 View attachment 256562 View attachment 256563 View attachment 256564 Hi all,

I’m glad Yvonne has quickly response I told u the Veteran members would response love the forum

selviester

Indonesia
The most common cause of baby-not-eating is he's not warm enough. Unless a tortoise can get his inner core temperature up in the 80'sF, the food won't digest, so they don't eat. And I can tell from your wide open enclosure that he's not warm enough. Even if the room he's in is 80F degrees, he still needs a light or a heat source where he can sit and soak up the heat.

My suggestion to you is to make the sides of the enclosure higher and cover it, and place a light or Ceramic Heat Emitter over it inside the cover.

Yvonne, I was hoping you would come to the rescue :) well I always bring him out during the day (the pic of the enclosure was taken when I brought him out so he could get fresh air and sunlight). I always bring him inside in the late afternoon.
I will try and make his enclosure warmer as you suggested. I was just worried he would get too hot because everyone keeps on telling me that :(

Also he doesnt seem to like having light or heat, he just always hides in the cave :(

Again, thank you and I will keep you posted.

Last edited: