My baby DT

Taco-Taco

Hi all! I am new here..so excited to find a forum as being momma to a Desert Tortoise is challenging.
I adopted this lil fella a few months back and my family couldn't imagine life without him now.
I've already found an abundance of advice on what to do and am excited at the prospect of giving him a warm bath. He needs it too, he has lettuce/foliage face. He likes Butter lettuce (the real green leafs) wrapped like a burrito more than any other meal. But he get's outside most days as I have a big backyard with lots of weeds/grass.
We're in So Cal..probably about 100 miles west of his heritage.
My kid named his Tortuga but I call him Taco-taco. He likes Django Unchained soundtrack to have his indoor meals too and reminds me of my kids when he eats (like he's been starved for days); very robust appetite indeed.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and that I plan on becoming an active member here (everyone seems so nice & genuinely interested). I do have many questions and concerns but will continue to browse the forum for answers & insights.
Thank you all! I love my lil guy - my 'bubby'.
He seems quite content here actually. And I could go on for days about how his quirks couldn't be more endearing (and how my camera is jammed packed from the last few months with exclusivley Taco picks and only 2 of actual humans). :blush:

Attachments

• 1386535729535.jpg
    1386535729535.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 143

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
Aww he is adorable! Tortoises always have there own personalities and adorable habits! My tortoise always eats when I play my clarinet :) and one of my favorite things to do is be a tortoise paparazzi! I love to take pictures of my little guy when he is sleeping because he always sleeps with his hand resting on his arm like a human :) welcome and hope you find some answers to your questions!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome, Taco-Taco! We're happy to have you. That is one cute little tort.

There are lots of helpful and knowledgable folks on here who have raised DTs, so if you have questions, just fire away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Your tortoise is so cute. Desert tortoises have such great personalities. :)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Carol S said:
Welcome to the Forum. Your tortoise is so cute. Desert tortoises have such great personalities. :)

Very true!

Taco-taco welcome to the forum. I'm from San Diego.

Taco-Taco

Thanks everyone! I just got him a reptile feeder bowl that looks perfect to give him his bath in. He really enjoys foraging in the garden on sunny days...oh he get's quite dirty indeed.

Attachments

• 1386705330767.jpg
    1386705330767.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Taco-Taco said:
Thanks everyone! I just got him a reptile feeder bowl that looks perfect to give him his bath in. He really enjoys foraging in the garden on sunny days...oh he get's quite dirty indeed.

Eeek. Cute bowl but I believe - others will chime in soon - that the design is the kind where they can tip upside down and drown. The terra cotta saucers that go under plants are cheap and wonderful. I have seen them at the 99 cents only store, too. They slope so it's an easier in and out. And the clay has a little traction for them too.

Your baby is darling. We love Gopherus GoGo Girls and Guys! Welcome! : )

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
Yes DT 's are something else ! But torts
Are like Lays you cannt have just one !
Have a great day

miwhaley

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Taco-Taco said:

Eeek. Cute bowl but I believe - others will chime in soon - that the design is the kind where they can tip upside down and drown. The terra cotta saucers that go under plants are cheap and wonderful. I have seen them at the 99 cents only store, too. They slope so it's an easier in and out. And the clay has a little traction for them too.

Your baby is darling. We love Gopherus GoGo Girls and Guys! Welcome! : )

I think for only soaking that bowl will do just fine! It seems to me that it would only be bad if it's the actual water bowl because I don't know about you, but I hang around and watch my little man while he's soaking!:)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
miwhaley said:
I think for only soaking that bowl will do just fine! It seems to me that it would only be bad if it's the actual water bowl because I don't know about you, but I hang around and watch my little man while he's soaking!:)

Yes, good point. With supervised soaks, all good. We do have threads where babies died but I think you are right, they used them as water dishes.

miwhaley

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
miwhaley said:

Yes, good point. With supervised soaks, all good. We do have threads where babies died but I think you are right, they used them as water dishes.

I understood totally your point of concern! I just happen to soak my sully in a plastic tub that has similar sides, but his water dish is a terra cotta! Just throwing the info out for the taking :)

Taco-Taco

Hi again. He loves the bath! I only use an inch of warm water and its very sturdy so it wont tip over. Taco's bathing has so far been supervised. He seems to really enjoy as he closes his eyes and stretches his neck/legs.
He's not eating at 'dinner' time now (assuming its a seasonal thing) he's taking to his cubby and staying there til the AM.
I got him a new cubby which he LOVES. Is made for lizard but the opening is big enough for my itty bitty dude. Since it slants down at the back he can get himself in real tight and forgets all about me. :(

Taco-Taco

Hey all. I do have a question if anyone knows. Some eves when i go to turn off the tank lights, my lil fella is still lying under them. Is it suggested I wait til he retires to his cubby to turn off his lights or should I just do it? Can he see in the dark to get back to his cubby? I've been checking on him til he does retire then i turn the lights off. Just wondering if good/bad idea turning them off at night while he is under them.
Do let me know if you could. Thanks much!:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Torts are lot like children they don't want
To go to bed they want to stay up but
Remember they grow when they sleep
And they don't want it but they need
Disapplen and order to their lives

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I just love baby DTs. I love the uniformity of their front leg scales

Taco-Taco

Pooped out from a long warm day of foraging!

Attachments

• 1387329045588.jpg
    1387329045588.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 29