My Baby Greek tortoise Norbert!

Alic3

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello! My name is Alice, I am 14 and I live in Norfolk, England, with my little baby tortoise Norbert! Norbert is a Greek tortoise (also known as a spur-thighed tortoise) and is about 7 months old. I bought him from my Mums friends Dad, who has bred tortoises for ages! I'm think that Norbert is a boy, because when I got him, I bought a tortoise care book, which says that boy tortoises generally tuck their tails in, and he does that, but that's not really much to go on so I'm probably wrong! I called him Norbert after the dragon in Harry Potter, and he loves climbing on his rocks, going through his tunnel and getting into mischief! His favourite foods are viola flowers, baby strawberry leaves, plantain and dandelion leaves, but of course he has lots of other types of plant. He also likes warm baths and going outside in the summer! He is very cute, so I'm going to add some pictures of him!
Norbert eating (2).jpg norbert close up.jpg Norbs on my hand.jpg Norbert outside.jpg Norbs and enlosure.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alice and welcome! Norbert is awfully cute, and is lucky to have such a caring keeper. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I'd like to make one little suggestion, if I may - get rid of that reptile waterer and instead use a clay plant saucer that you sink down into the substrate so the lip is flush with the substrate. Those reptile bowls are sort of hard for a baby tortoise to climb into and out of without over balancing and tipping on his back. They sometimes end up upside down in the water.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
What a sweet little baby! Thanks for sharing photos! Keep em coming!

Alic3

UK
Hi Alice and welcome! Norbert is awfully cute, and is lucky to have such a caring keeper. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I'd like to make one little suggestion, if I may - get rid of that reptile waterer and instead use a clay plant saucer that you sink down into the substrate so the lip is flush with the substrate. Those reptile bowls are sort of hard for a baby tortoise to climb into and out of without over balancing and tipping on his back. They sometimes end up upside down in the water.
Thank you for the suggestion! He's been coping alright so far with his current water bowl, and we put some little stones in so he doesn't get suck, but he doesn't use it very much, so maybe he finds it tricky to drink from.I'll give your advice a go, and see if he prefers it, thanks again! :)