My baby Ibera -Cleo losing weight

baker27

5 Year Member
For weeks now I've been on here seeking help with Cleo who has a URI and have recieved great advice from everyone! My vet switched her antibiotics last week from Fortaz to Chloramphenicol Succinate. She did not tolerate this very well. She was eating while on the Fortaz but once switched she stopped. It has been 4 days now and she is losing weight. Vet switched her back to Fortaz again. I've been soaking her twice a day, once in warm water for 20 min and later in the day doing baby food soak in carrots and water. She is too little I feel to be losing weight. It also looks like maybe the runny nose is going away too. Any advice or tricks I could use to get her eating again?

baker27

5 Year Member
Yes she will not even touch it. She would always eat it and everything I gave her but has since stopped.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
When mine stopped eating ( which is was seasonal bases, not illness) I upped temps and hand feed every day.....I also offered a lot of favorites, more than normal.

baker27

5 Year Member
I did raise her temp awhile back because of her Respiratory infection. But she has no interest even for her favorite foods. I have testudo seed mix I grew. I've put that in her enclosure hoping it would get her to eat but no interest.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Antibiotics do tend to put them off food for a while :(

baker27

5 Year Member
What worries me is she actually gained weight the first 2 weeks of being on them. She did pretty good eating wise on Fortaz. She was 38 grams. She is now 30 grams after vet switched the meds from Fortaz to another one only to switch her back again to Fortaz.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The matabolize slower though so it takes a while to see any reactions from things. Keep up with babyfood soaks and maybe try some pumkin puree, the kind you buy for pies without the sugar or flavorings.

baker27

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the advice! Really appreciated! I will head to store in the morning. Is there any others that I could use too besides pumpkin and carrots?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
And I would try putting a glob of pumkin in his food dish, see if there is any chance he'd try it. They are attracted to the color and pumkin if a favorite to many torts.

baker27

5 Year Member
And I would try putting a glob of pumkin in his food dish, see if there is any chance he'd try it. They are attracted to the color and pumkin if a favorite to many torts.
Thank you for the little trick of pumpkin! I put a little bit in her mouth and she ate maybe 2 bites. After maybe 10 minutes she went over and ate a little bit of radicchio and dandelions! Not a lot but at least she ate something!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thank you for the little trick of pumpkin! I put a little bit in her mouth and she ate maybe 2 bites. After maybe 10 minutes she went over and ate a little bit of radicchio and dandelions! Not a lot but at least she ate something!
That's great to hear!!!!!!!