My baby Indian star won't eat normally, is very lethargic, has cellular debris in her eyes,....

Siddharth Gori

Location (City and/or State)
Maharashtra, India
Hey everybody I'm new here,
I just wanted some help with regard to my baby Indian star tortoises, I have two at the moment and I'm not an experienced keeper of the two. I have a male and a female, Michaelangelo and Raphael respectively. Raphael is the little one, she doesn't eat as she used to, she's lethargic as hell, extremely shy, has cellular debris in her eyes (how can I remove that?). Michaelangelo on the other hand is eating, pooping and running around like a champ. I soak them every day with vitamin and calcium supplements added to the water. They have favourites, french beans over anything else but they still eat okra,tomatoes,etc. Raphael keeps rubbing her eyes, I talked to the vet he says that he cannot get the debris out of her eyes, what can I do about this ? She was incredibly social and active before this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can only guess and give you info based on my own experience.

When you keep tortoises in pairs, you will always have a stronger and a weaker. And the fact that your two are different sizes just adds to the problem. I think you will notice a big difference in the smaller tortoise is you were to set it up in its own enclosure and let it live alone. Tortoises are not 'herd' type animals. They are solitary and don't want other tortoises in their territory. The larger tortoise is telling the smaller one to get out of the territory, and when he doesn't leave it's very stressful for BOTH of them.

So my advice to you is set up a whole other enclosure with heat and lights, hiding places, food and water dishes, etc. Soak the smaller tortoise in warm water daily for at least a half hour, and before you take him out of the water, gently rub his eyelids with a moistened Q-Tip.

Please read this care sheet and make any changes necessary: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Siddharth Gori

Maharashtra, India
I can only guess and give you info based on my own experience.

When you keep tortoises in pairs, you will always have a stronger and a weaker. And the fact that your two are different sizes just adds to the problem. I think you will notice a big difference in the smaller tortoise is you were to set it up in its own enclosure and let it live alone. Tortoises are not 'herd' type animals. They are solitary and don't want other tortoises in their territory. The larger tortoise is telling the smaller one to get out of the territory, and when he doesn't leave it's very stressful for BOTH of them.

So my advice to you is set up a whole other enclosure with heat and lights, hiding places, food and water dishes, etc. Soak the smaller tortoise in warm water daily for at least a half hour, and before you take him out of the water, gently rub his eyelids with a moistened Q-Tip.

Please read this care sheet and make any changes necessary: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/
Thank you, I shall do so and I'll let you know what changes