My baby leopard tortoise hasn't been eating.

RyanW81969

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
Hi guys, my baby leopard tortoise is 1 month gonna be 2 months on March 7, I have soaked him everyday in warm water and I haven't seen him eat since the first week in his new home ( I fed him pellet food the first 2 weeks) and i'm worrying about what I need to do to fix this so he can start eating again. I think his tank dimensions are 25inches length, 9 inches height, 12 inches width. The light I use for him is a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.00 UVB, 13 Watt
search
. I'm not sure whats the Temp. I give him green collards to eat, For the bedding I use Coconut and Cypress Mulch on the top. I need some help feel free to ask any more questions! Thanks.

Destben

Kansas
Have you read the care guide in the leopard tort section pinned to the top? I recommend getting a temp gun and making sure your baby is the right temp if they are to cold they cant digest. could you post some pictures of the enclosure so that we may help you further?

Destben

Kansas
zilla-slimline-tropical-fixture-t8-uvb-reptile-light.jpg you definitely need to get a heat lamp as well. it sounds likely your baby is to cold. And the bulb you are using is a coil bulb and they case eye problems. you should get a UVB Strip bulb you can find the fixture cheaper at the home improvement store cheaper then the pet store. your tank as well is way to small a better fit for a baby would be a modified Large storage tub to help with heat and humidity.

Destben

Kansas
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/suggestion-for-setting-up-a-baby-habitat.105903/
this is a suggestion of how to set up a baby habitat. just remember Leopard tort babies need to to be hot and humid to thrive. This means you will have to cover whatever enclosure to help regulate both heat and humidity. babies temps should be no lower then 80F anywhere in the tank and a basking temp of at least 95F. the humidity should be in the 80% range

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Give all of these a read. You need to figure out your temps IMMEDIATELY. These are cold blooded animals that rely on us for heat. They need heat to function. Your baby tort is very fragile, so you need to get a heat lamp and night heat ASAP.

RyanW81969

Menifee
Have you read the care guide in the leopard tort section pinned to the top? I recommend getting a temp gun and making sure your baby is the right temp if they are to cold they cant digest. could you post some pictures of the enclosure so that we may help you further?
Okay Thank you, I will order a new light, do you have a link for the light?

Attachments

• Tortoise Tank.jpeg
    Tortoise Tank.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48

Destben

Kansas
They sell them on amazon if you need but you cold pick one up from the pet store. Also make sure you get a heat lamp because the UVB bulb does not provide heat.

RyanW81969

Menifee
They sell them on amazon if you need but you cold pick one up from the pet store. Also make sure you get a heat lamp because the UVB bulb does not provide heat.
Okay, do i then have the uvb and heat light on?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Only during the day, which is why you need night heat. Get a ceramic heat emitter for night, and you can even use it during the day to get your temps to at least 80 at all times.

Destben

Kansas
Yes but at night you will need a Heat Emitter bulb and that will provide heat without light. Torts need darkness for a proper sleep schedule.

Destben

Kansas
you definitely need a thermometer and hydrometer these are so important. A temp gun would be good as well because you can use it to check quick temps anywhere in the enclosure.

Destben

Kansas
31mkVcGDk8L._SY355_.jpg 180491-center-1.jpg
Here are some examples of the bulbs. the first is the heat emitter bulb. for your enclosure i would start out with 50-60 watts because it is so small. you will have to adjust the heights of the lights to get the right temps and may even have to get a lower or higher wattage. the second is a basking bulb for day.

Destben

Kansas
View attachment 232560 View attachment 232561
Here are some examples of the bulbs. the first is the heat emitter bulb. for your enclosure i would start out with 50-60 watts because it is so small. you will have to adjust the heights of the lights to get the right temps and may even have to get a lower or higher wattage. the second is a basking bulb for day.
Definitely work on getting a bigger enclosure, but the heat is a you need to do now thing.

Destben

Kansas
as for your water dish i would switch to a terracotta pot plate pushed all the way down level with the substrate these are easy for your tort to get in and out of which you need because he is so little.f9d1a332ebe1e0c5e698fb2988abfad0.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This baby needs a whole lot of things changed. That small of an enclosure is impossible to get correct temps. It needs 80 all over day and night with a basking of 95-100. Needs it dark at night but with heat. That's at the minimum two fixtures that will barely if at all fit on that small enclosure. Then it needs 80% humidity. Water dish 24/7 and food dish and hide. All this takes up room and he needs room to walk or eventually he won't be able to walk.
He also needs a much better diet then just pellets. Make all changes asap before it's too late and he should perk up and start eating normal.
Read all care sheets linked to you and follow them.

RyanW81969

Menifee
This baby needs a whole lot of things changed. That small of an enclosure is impossible to get correct temps. It needs 80 all over day and night with a basking of 95-100. Needs it dark at night but with heat. That's at the minimum two fixtures that will barely if at all fit on that small enclosure. Then it needs 80% humidity. Water dish 24/7 and food dish and hide. All this takes up room and he needs room to walk or eventually he won't be able to walk.
He also needs a much better diet then just pellets. Make all changes asap before it's too late and he should perk up and start eating normal.
Read all care sheets linked to you and follow them.

Okay I will, do you know what he can start eating? I’m starting to grow spring mix