~~ My baby redfoot's scales turn white

Status
Not open for further replies.

phtanus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ames, IA

Hi guys,

I have two baby cherryhead redfoot torts, about 6-8 months old (55 grams), maybe a male and a female (not sure about sex). Recently I found the female one has some white scales on her hands and legs. While the male one doesn't have these. They live in the same box with the same temperature, humidity, diet, ..., everything. I am sure the female tort did not have these white scales (hands and legs) a month ago.

I fed them various of food, including tort food from T-rex, Mazuri, and ZooMed, and ryegrass, cabbage, strawberry, and some other vegitables. The temperature is above 80F and the humidity is over 70%. I use the cypress mixed with ZooMed forest soil substrate. I gave them UVB light as well as warm water bath soaking everyday.

The good thing is that both torts look very active and healthy, with an excellent appetite. The ONLY thing that concerns me is just the white scales for the female now (but the male is fine. Wierd.). I don't know if I am too sensitive.

I attached five pictures of her. Can you guys tell me if she is sick, or anything is wrong with her ? Any of your feedbacks will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 阿叻的背甲.jpg
    阿叻的背甲.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 阿叻的腹甲.jpg
    阿叻的腹甲.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 阿叻的头.jpg
    阿叻的头.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 阿叻的右手.jpg
    阿叻的右手.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 阿叻的左脚.jpg
    阿叻的左脚.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 125

Akronic

5 Year Member
they do lose them/shed as they grow, i have not owned RF so im not sure if that is normal. but my RT had some flaking goin on his head but it just peeled off and went away. are they getting the proper UVB light they need?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you, but wanted to give you a bump so more people will see it and get you some help. Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How very interesting. Never seen that (the legs) before. As to the plastron...shell rot.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
phtanus said:

Hi guys,

I have two baby cherryhead redfoot torts, about 6-8 months old (55 grams), maybe a male and a female (not sure about sex). Recently I found the female one has some white scales on her hands and legs. While the male one doesn't have these. They live in the same box with the same temperature, humidity, diet, ..., everything. I am sure the female tort did not have these white scales (hands and legs) a month ago.

I fed them various of food, including tort food from T-rex, Mazuri, and ZooMed, and ryegrass, cabbage, strawberry, and some other vegitables. The temperature is above 80F and the humidity is over 70%. I use the cypress mixed with ZooMed forest soil substrate. I gave them UVB light as well as warm water bath soaking everyday.

The good thing is that both torts look very active and healthy, with an excellent appetite. The ONLY thing that concerns me is just the white scales for the female now (but the male is fine. Wierd.). I don't know if I am too sensitive.

I attached five pictures of her. Can you guys tell me if she is sick, or anything is wrong with her ? Any of your feedbacks will be appreciated. Many thanks.

If a bacterial infection is ruled out , ....
Scales are made of keratin, the same substance that makes up our fingernails and hair and In general, reptiles have two sets of cells that produce color, the melanocytes and the chromatophores:
Melanocytes are present throughout the basal layers of the epidermis. During the skin-renewal phase of epidermal growth, the melanocytes send pseudopodia into the melanin-bearing keratocytes to transfer the melanin to the new cells. In Chelonians’,crocodilians, iguanids and snakes, these melanin-bearing keratocytes are in the ß-layer; in other reptiles, they occur in both the a- and ß-layer.
The chromatophores are layered upon one another in the outer portion of the dermis. A layer of xanthophores (yellow pigment cells) erythrophores (reddish-purple pigment cells) and other fat-soluble pigment cells lay just under the basal membrane of the epidermal layer. Under the xanthophores are several layers of iridiophores which produce iridescent colors in the range from blue to gold, as well as white (guanophores and leucophores).
The presence or absence, and density and distribution when present, of the melanocytes and chromatophores within each layer will determine the color of the reptile . In some static-colored species, the stacks of chromatophores are absent. Which could lead to more visual white looking scales.

JD~:)

phtanus

5 Year Member
Ames, IA
Thank you N2TORTS and other friends.

I tried to wash and brush the tort, and I am not sure if the white (or light yellow) scale was caused by something not clean.

Anyway, I posted two pictures, before and after brushing. The background of the pictures are a little different, and they may be hard to compare to each other. I really hope my tort is not ill...

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 66

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree that the shell is showing signs of shell rot...you should address that issue soon so that it does not progress.....:D

phtanus

5 Year Member
Ames, IA
Your guys are correct. The baby tortoises have rotten shell as well as fungi infection on their skins (which causes white scales). Following some of you's suggestions, we treated the torts as follows,

1.Disinfect the shell with a general antiseptic:Betadine (povidone-iodine)

2.wash with Nolvasan (chlorhexidine)

3.put a 1% Clotrimazole anti-fungus cream on the infected areas with a Q-Tip

Now I think they look quite pretty good, with respect to shell and scales. Thank you guys.

腹甲.JPG
右手.JPG
阿嚣腐甲治疗12天.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.