My baby RT is pretty lethargic?

courtoon

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkville, IL
Hi guys! I just got my baby Russian tortoise yesterday and I already love her so much! Shes only 2 months. I have never had a tortoise before, let alone just a baby, so I feel like I've been overly paranoid about a few things I've noticed with her.

When I put her in her enclosure, she just burrows down on the warm side, which is at 90 degrees right now. I don't really see her move around or try her water or her food, or anything like that, and I've been checking on her all day.
I've soaked her twice today, morning and just now, night. This morning I woke her up and took her out to our garden so she could eat and she munched on some dandelions and then walked around in her soak, then I put her back up. I just took her out again tonight and did the same thing, but she wasnt really interested in walking around the garden, she would just sit there with her legs barely touching the ground, and when I put her in her soak, she just laid there very lethargic like with her back legs just laying out. She peed clear urine twice within 5 minutes, and when I sat her down on things, she just sat there. She looked very sleepy and even yawned, even though she's been sleeping for 6 hours today.
I'm just pretty worried that she might not be adjusting well? She did defecate today, a black solid waste.

Is this normal or am I just being a very over paranoid first time mama? I read over all the beginner mistake/caresheet forums too! I just don't to do anything wrong or miss any signs that she could be sick. Or I might just be taking her out too much and exhausting her haha! I am taking her to the vet on Wednesday to get her a once over.
Thanks guys!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You just got her, she's had a very busy 48 hours. Give her some time to settle in. Just keep her and her enclosure for a few days without going inside and outside. Soak her daily. Bring in some of those dandelions from outside that she likes. I know it is stressful, I must've checked on my Russian hatchling every five minutes for the first week :) remember, she is just a baby. Babies sleep eat and poop. Then sleep again.
Also, are the temperatures all correct? If you post some pictures of the enclosure people can give suggestions if it needs any improvements. Sometimes it takes a little bit to get everything right.