My baby sulcata is getting a soft shell, HELPPP

krissy56

I have a 1 month old baby sulcata tortoise and I am absolutely in love! But just noticed his shell is getting soft!
What am I doing wrong? Or better question what can I do to help my poor guy!
I have him under a 26 watt combined UVA and UVB bulb along with a 60 watt heat bulb!
His diet consists of baby spinach, Romania lettuce broccoli, clover flowers, and occasionally a bite or two of a carrot! I put calcium powder on his food 2 times a week and he always has access to his cuttle bone (though I don't see him bite it often) he seems to be happy and very active, what can I do ? image.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I know the first thing that many will tell you, get rid of the pellets, and get a better substrate in there to include sphagnum peat moss, clean soil, and coconut coir. What are your temperatures? Basking, hide, night time temps, etc. and is he getting daily doses of outside sunshine? How often and for how long are you soaking?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Does he have a soaking dish? The photo doesn't show the entire enclosure... Read tom's sulcata guides and us what you're doing differently (that might help us find the cause) good luck :)

krissy56

I don't have a soaking dish in his enclosure but I do take him out to soak every 2 days

krissy56

Basking temps are about 98-103 and his night temps are 75-80
I am going to try a new substrate even though my vet told me the pellets were fine and I soak him about 15-20 min

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
the pellets are not fine and he needs water more than every two days. soaking him every two days is ok but he needs access to water at all times

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Diet change, ASAP. That diet seems to be high in oxalates, which block calcium absorption. Calcium and sunlight work together.

krissy56

I used to keep water in his enclosure and he wouldn't even go anywhere near it I will put it back in and what is a better diet that won't block calcium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like you got a whole lot of mis-information. Here is how you raise them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Feeding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

What not to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And here is most likely why the plastron is going soft:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Hope these help and give you some insight.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would also change that UVB bulb. Those are no good. Get him outside if you can. Swap the indoor tank one out with a mercury pair bulb.

krissy56

I sure hope my baby doesn't have hfs idk what I'll do I've not even had him 3 weeks and I'm so attached!
He is still active as ever and eating fine I will DEFFINATLEY start soaking him everyday and will change his bulb out as soon as I can ! :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You probably know this by now, but Tom's threads are the best advice you can read to care for your baby. Yes, many, if not all of us are attached to our babies very easily. Don't distress. She looks fine right now, but you want to avoid the many issues that can pop up with poor care.
Jist soak her everyday, get her outside for some sunlight, take care to keep an eye on her every moment when she's outside. Predators like large birds, dogs, cats, an other animals can hurt or kill your baby. Be especially careful with dogs no matter how friendly it may be. And, read, read, read.

krissy56

Took him to the vet today he said he will be fine and there is no sign of hfs!
He gave him vitamin and calcium drops and he is eating and running all over the place today!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't "change out that bulb as soon as you can". Turn it off right away before it damages his eyes. If your baby can get some sunshine a few times a week in a safe enclosure with the right temps and plenty of summer shade, you won't need indoor UV bulbs at all.

How was your baby started? Where did you get it?

krissy56

Beginner mistake, I ordered him offline and I usually take him outside but after having a pretty bad thunderstorm we are now experiencing a couple days of chilly weather