My baby tortoise seems stressed.

Taco The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
St. Catharines
Hi there, my tortoise started peeing every time i pick it up to soak it. It also seems to only be waking up at night time or when im not around. I didnt do anything different then i always did. Is there any thing I can do to make things less stressful for the little guy?

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi there, my tortoise started peeing every time i pick it up to soak it. It also seems to only be waking up at night time or when im not around. I didnt do anything different then i always did. Is there any thing I can do to make things less stressful for the little guy?
How long have you had it? Mine will sometimes pee when I pick her up I think it’s just a nervousness thing.

Taco The Tortoise

St. Catharines
Everytime you pick him up? He’s probably scared not used to handling.
ya but he wasnt doing it for like the first month I had him. Thats why im worried cause it all of a sudden changed. Like he was totally fine being handled and then all of a sudden hes super scared and nothing happened to him so i dont know why he all of a sudden would be scared like that. Maybe its normal i just dont want to be doing something wrong lol.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Well it needs to come out ... Better out than in as they say! I found getting a routine and regular handling 1 year on they tend to behave when being handled. You can not puppy train a tortoise so do not expect no activity however they do squirt if scared. Regular warm shallow soaking has benefits of mess in the water , they drink water and hydrate also you will get to know each other and get familiar. Hopefully over time it resolves. Good luck.

Taco The Tortoise

St. Catharines
Well it needs to come out ... Better out than in as they say! I found getting a routine and regular handling 1 year on they tend to behave when being handled. You can not puppy train a tortoise so do not expect no activity however they do squirt if scared. Regular warm shallow soaking has benefits of mess in the water , they drink water and hydrate also you will get to know each other and get familiar. Hopefully over time it resolves. Good luck.
thanks for the advice :)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Some tortoises just dislike being handled. No matter how long an owner has had it.

For one, if they don't stable enough in your hands and or can see how high it is their response can sometimes be peeing or even clawing in an effort to get themselves free.

1. Place your tortoise in a non-clear tub with high sides and transport them to where ever you need to go.

2. Keep handling down to a minimum because tortoises, most of the time, wish to be left alone to explore and wander. Pet it a couple of times during feedings and slowly work your way into their good side. If they're clawing and or struggling leave them be.

Taco The Tortoise

St. Catharines
Some tortoises just dislike being handled. No matter how long an owner has had it.

For one, if they don't stable enough in your hands and or can see how high it is their response can sometimes be peeing or even clawing in an effort to get themselves free.

1. Place your tortoise in a non-clear tub with high sides and transport them to where ever you need to go.

2. Keep handling down to a minimum because tortoises, most of the time, wish to be left alone to explore and wander. Pet it a couple of times during feedings and slowly work your way into their good side. If they're clawing and or struggling leave them be.
ok sounds good thanks for the advice :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I agree with putting it in a bin for transport. If it happens that you carry it, try putting it against your chest so its feet are on something solid. They really hate having their feet dangle. Grab an old towel to thwart the warm shower, and see if it works. It calms my 2 year old.