My baby tortoise was attacked yesterday. Please say a little prayer for her.

Milinda

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
Well, yesterday, I did a really stupid thing, and now I am paying the consequences. I left my two year old Russian out in the plastic pool on the patio right near the kitchen door, and went away for an hour. I put my two dogs outside, who never touch the tortoise, to watch out for other animals, and when I got back, I couldn't find her anywhere. I thought for sure she was carried off by a racoon or possum, but kept looking, and finally found her in a corner on the patio. She was chewed up a bit, but her limbs are ok. Her shell is broken in two parts, and she has puncture wounds. We took her to the vet and now have her on antibiotics, pain meds, and the area is bandaged up with ointment and gauze. She made it through the night and seems to have energy, so I am hoping there was no internal damage. I don't think the dogs did this. I think a racoon came down and got her, and the dogs probably scared it away. But, either way, I know it was my fault. Please don't judge. Just say a little prayer for my little Frida. Thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope all works out well. This is why we tell people to never, ever leave tortoises and dogs unattended, 100 % of the time. We have many members, that like you say the same thing, my dogs never pay attention to the tortoise. I sure hope they will learn from you misfortune. I in no means am trying to be mean or scold you, I understand mistakes happen. I just want others that will read this, to understand, no dog should be left alone with them.
Now, if you post a pic of the injuries, some of our members will be able to help you in how to take care of them.
So sorry this happened. Keep us posted on his recovery.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sorry for what happened. But a lessen learned for everyone here in the forum. Dog and Torts are not to mix.

Best wishes to your torts. Speedy recovery.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry you have had to learn this lesson this way. I have as well. My Mort was okay. He has a pretty good scar to remind me of my error. Will definitely say a little prayer for your baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, yesterday, I did a really stupid thing, and now I am paying the consequences.

No. Your tortoise is paying the consequences. This happens all the time. Its depressing. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully someone will read this and simply not take the chance. Please do your best to educate others so they don't make the same mistake, and I hope your tortoise recovers.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Poor little one. I hope he gets better fast. Is he still eating and walking around? :(

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
No. Your tortoise is paying the consequences. This happens all the time. Its depressing. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully someone will read this and simply not take the chance. Please do your best to educate others so they don't make the same mistake, and I hope your tortoise recovers.

Yes, the tort is paying the consequenses, but I'm pretty sure the owner is heartbroken and also has to deal with the consequences.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Get well soon little tort! And please spread the word; dogs are by nature curious predators and bite to investigate things. Small to medium torts should never be left alone with or exposed to dogs.

Good luck little one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm sorry! I hope she gets better soon :( Please don't ever leave your tortoise alone and unsupervised with your dogs! They may not understand and 'know better', but I know you do, now!
I hope your tort is okay! :(

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm sorry this happened to both of you. Glad you could take him to the vet.
I have 4 wonderful dogs that I love and trust to be dogs.
From everything I know, dogs see tortoises as moving rawhide chews.
The very best of luck to you and your baby!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear, but sadly one we hear to often, use this to teach others.