My Baby Tortoise's Outdoor Enclosure Does Not Trap Humidity. Now What?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
I have a six month old Russian Tortoise that has primarily been indoors within a closed chamber enclosure to help maintain proper humidity and temps. I want to take my tortoise outside, but the outdoor enclosure I have is open-top.

Does humidity matter if my baby tortoise is outside for a bit? Should I even take my baby tortoise outside (assuming its warm enough)?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Don't worry about the humidity when taking the tortoise outside. Just do another soak on the way back in before you return it to its normal humid closed chamber. You probably want to limit it to about an hour.

It would be good to put a wire top or something over the outdoor enclosure to make sure the baby doesn't get taken by a bird or cat or something. The rule of thumb is that once they reach about 4ish inches they can be outside full time, temperature permitting.

Reactions: Tom

Julian32122

Vallejo
Don't worry about the humidity when taking the tortoise outside. Just do another soak on the way back in before you return it to its normal humid closed chamber. You probably want to limit it to about an hour.

It would be good to put a wire top or something over the outdoor enclosure to make sure the baby doesn't get taken by a bird or cat or something. The rule of thumb is that once they reach about 4ish inches they can be outside full time, temperature permitting.
Great - thank you. Yes, I remember reading about an hour per inch until they're about 4 inches according to Tom. I'll go ahead and follow that guideline while doing the soak as you recommended. I'll also protect the top of the enclosure. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Tom

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a six month old Russian Tortoise that has primarily been indoors within a closed chamber enclosure to help maintain proper humidity and temps. I want to take my tortoise outside, but the outdoor enclosure I have is open-top.

Does humidity matter if my baby tortoise is outside for a bit? Should I even take my baby tortoise outside (assuming its warm enough)?
No, but cool air does, so never leave her alone, and only for a bit