My Best Night Box Design Yet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jazzbell772 said:
How big would you go for one Dalmatian hermann tortoise?

As big as you can. 50x50' would not to be too large. You'd be able to plant all sorts of plants for eating and hiding.

sibi said:
Tom, it had been mentioned before, but I would tell you what I did and then I would like your opinion on it please. With the oil heater, I created air flow without compromising on heat by using cement blocks turned on its side where the two holes face the inside and outside surroundings of the heater. In this way, heat is directed through the holes and into the bottom living space. With an oscillating fan pointed toward the floor, the warm air moves from top to bottom, and from inside the barrier out. The torts can't mess with it and they can't get burned. It transfers the heat that rises back down to the floor where it is needed. Temps on the floor are around 80-85 degrees continuously! Of course, the 10x 12' shed is their living space year round, and it does allow me to use cement blocks.

I've never tried to heat a shed that large. It sounds like its working for you, so rock on!

With Joe's help I recently put some small computer fans in my 4x8' boxes with the radiant oil heaters, and I like the results. Similar concept to your fan. It works well for my application too.

Jazzbell772

Haha! I hear ya! Unfortunately I've got golden retrievers that need the yard more than the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jazzbell772 said:
Haha! I hear ya! Unfortunately I've got golden retrievers that need the yard more than the tortoise.

Another 5 or 10 feet in either direction is not going to matter to your dogs, but it will make a huge difference for your tortoise. They need room to roam.

Jazzbell772

Tom said:
Jazzbell772 said:

Another 5 or 10 feet in either direction is not going to matter to your dogs, but it will make a huge difference for your tortoise. They need room to roam.

I understand what you mean. I'll see what we can do. She's only 5 months old so still tiny. She will also get time to roam free in the yard supervised.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your original plan of 4x8 is great for such a small one. I use that size a lot for my babies. You can always expand as she grows.

I would not turn her loose in the yard outside of an enclosure. I've seen that end badly far to many times. Everyone has the best of intentions, but so many turtles and tortoises are lost that way.

Jazzbell772

I probably should've mentioned her size in the beginning. And thank you so much for the information. This has been so much easier from everything I have learned on just one forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jazzbell772 said:
I probably should've mentioned her size in the beginning. And thank you so much for the information. This has been so much easier from everything I have learned on just one forum.

Here is a thread on easy to make, but safe and secure enclosures for hatchlings. Maybe this will give you some ideas.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

Timothy_tortoise

5 Year Member
Love the box tom!! Will this be a good design for my sulcata? Will the oil heater do the job in cold winters? (Below freezing) or will I also need a heat mat? I have more questions but I will space them out for you... Lol thanks for any help!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love the box tom!! Will this be a good design for my sulcata? Will the oil heater do the job in cold winters? (Below freezing) or will I also need a heat mat? I have more questions but I will space them out for you... Lol thanks for any help!!

I don't know where you are, but here we get below freezing nights throughout most of winter. Our days usually warm up quite nicely though. These boxes maintain their temps as pictured with temps in the mid 20'sF. Even on nights like that, our days typically warm up into the 60's or higher.

For single sulcata, something like this might be better:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Timothy_tortoise

5 Year Member
Ok I should have been clearer... I'm in N.C. Our highs in winter sometimes are below freezing... What I'm thinking is building maybe a 10'x10'x4' enclosure with the same principle as your box... (With bigger heater of course) what I'm asking is how well it holds heat.. And about floor temps as in will I need a mat or does the heater do the job..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well now you have gone outside the realm of my experience and expertise. We have a member named Len in Virginia who is adept at building stuff for your kind of climate. Try reaching him through the forum here. Other members from colder climates will hopefully chime in if they read this, but you might get more results by starting a new thread of your own in the enclosures section.

I would guess that in a climate like yours, with a shed that size, you would need substantially more and better insulation than what works here in sunny SoCal.

Wellington in Chicago and Maggie3fan in WA might also have some good tips for you as they are both doing something similar to what you propose.

Sorry if I'm leaving anyone else out. Please chime in and help Timothy_Tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Ok I should have been clearer... I'm in N.C. Our highs in winter sometimes are below freezing... What I'm thinking is building maybe a 10'x10'x4' enclosure with the same principle as your box... (With bigger heater of course) what I'm asking is how well it holds heat.. And about floor temps as in will I need a mat or does the heater do the job..

Welcome and you are in a good hand (Tom's). Good to have you here. This is a great place to learn and share. So you got to share........

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I too am in NC, with a yearling. He spent the winter inside except for a few gorgeous days. He has a (approx) 16'x16' outdoor enclosure that he has spent a few days in last week. In the enclosure are numerous hides, plants, a pool and a greenhouse area. His summer night time house is a converted doghouse with hinged ramp/door. It worked great for his outside time last year also, with coco coir substrate and multiple clear vinyl doorflaps. As you know, Nc summers are ideal for our torts.

I imagine I will keep in in at night as many winters as I can carry him...I am a bit of a worrywort momma. Then one of my sheds, converted, will be needed

Timothy_tortoise

5 Year Member
That is basically my plans.. Outside during the summer inside during winter until his home is built... Just trying to figure out which part of the yard he gets... Having a problem with no part of my yard gets all day sun except out by the road...

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Pt 1:
I am considering converting the bottom third of my flying squirrel flight cage into a larger indoor enclosure for my juvenile during inclement weather. Anyone else ever done something like this?

Since FSs never use the lower third of their cages I could add a plexiglass "ceiling" for the tort level, plywood walls on the bottom third and put covered protective cages around the electrical fixtures. With plywood sides, coir substrate, hide, tile and che/basking light that would allow the right thermostatically / humidistat- controlled closed environment with an open feel.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397948122.465590.jpgthe cage is 4'x 6+ ft footprint. I could remove the avant garde tree thing and just use branches for the arboreal tenants. Thoughts?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Maybe you guys can chat about the squirrels in private messages :)

Lets keep this informative thread on track ;)

Tom, how many of these night boxes do you have in use?

TommyZ

5 Year Member
So, i went ahead and did my best. What do ya all think? Close?

Attachments

• 1398051770238.jpg
    1398051770238.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 1398051792328.jpg
    1398051792328.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 114
  • 1398051816468.jpg
    1398051816468.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 1398051832850.jpg
    1398051832850.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1398051850882.jpg
    1398051850882.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1398051862866.jpg
    1398051862866.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 112

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heather, Right now I'm using two 4x8' boxes and two 4x4' boxes.

TommyZ, How will you keep rain out with your lid like that?