My best try at a "Closed Chamber".

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
Here it is! It took me a week but I finally finished!! Its an old dresser (frame), every inch of wood has been sealed with organic shellac (4 coats, that was day one) . The wood was aired out for 3 days to be sure any harmful vapors etc were evaporated and then I reconstructed it adding a floor with a layer of Styrofoam insulation on bottom and a piece of half inch plywood as the subfloor. plexiglass doors with shutter-clips to ensure the kitty doesn't get TOOO curious as well as the torts. THIS IS BY NO MEANS a permanent or even semi-permanent enclosure and I plan to have a better design plan within 4 or 6 months at the most. what do you think? Also, IT WAS MY HUSBANDS IDEA to get sulcattas... NOT MINE... I just happen to have been raised by a carpenter and got stuck with the job. I am aware that 2 sulcattas are a bad idea but I am making the best of HIS situation... plus... their pretty stinkin cute...so he got soooo lucky!! DONT LAUGH... this is not a "pretty" tank... also... PLEASE feel free to comment on the lighting or placement of ANYTHING in the enclosure... I KNOW NOTHING!!! Thanks!:) XOXO
20150903_144444.jpg Sulcattas.jpg 20150903_151443.jpg 20150903_154007.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I think it looks like you did a pretty good job. How deep is the substrate? Keep it moist and that should hold humidity up. What are you using for night heat? The hide should be effective. When you upgrade will you be able to separate them?
Welcome to the forum by the way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, pretty darn good. You should be proud. I question about night heat too. The one end is dark, so is there a Che over the hide? Dampen all the substrate and be sure temps day and night do not fall below 80 and the humidity is 80% or above and you should have some nice smooth torts. Most hatchlings do fine together, but if you do see one hogging the food, the water dish or the hide or one not growing as fast as the other, you might need to seperat them sooner then later.

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
I think it looks like you did a pretty good job. How deep is the substrate? Keep it moist and that should hold humidity up. What are you using for night heat? The hide should be effective. When you upgrade will you be able to separate them?
Welcome to the forum by the way.

We are using coconut coir for substrate and I made it about 2 inches thick along the bottom and about 4 inches thick under the the hut. I can't believe it...a large bag of dry coir was 25 bucks...but a 7 by 8 inch cube of compressed was $8. All I had to do was soak it and it was twice the amount as the bag. So damp substrate is okay for them? I figured it would help with humidity but read sulcatas require dry substrate.

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
I agree, pretty darn good. You should be proud. I question about night heat too. The one end is dark, so is there a Che over the hide? Dampen all the substrate and be sure temps day and night do not fall below 80 and the humidity is 80% or above and you should have some nice smooth torts. Most hatchlings do fine together, but if you do see one hogging the food, the water dish or the hide or one not growing as fast as the other, you might need to seperat them sooner then later.

For night heat my husband ordered some kind of heating rock or pad, we're waiting for it to come in the mail, hopefully today. We are, in the meantime using a heat bulb. It doesn't emit light, just heat so I put it above their hut on the opposite end of the basking light and have the thermostat set at 85 and the temp probe placed in the coolest area of the box.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
We are using coconut coir for substrate and I made it about 2 inches thick along the bottom and about 4 inches thick under the the hut. I can't believe it...a large bag of dry coir was 25 bucks...but a 7 by 8 inch cube of compressed was $8. All I had to do was soak it and it was twice the amount as the bag. So damp substrate is okay for them? I figured it would help with humidity but read sulcatas require dry substrate.
Dry is wrong. They will be pyramided without high humidity. Should be about 80 percent humidity. They hatch in the rainy season and spend all of their time in vegetation where it is humid in the wild. Thicker substrate will help. I would add 2 inches everywhere. Heat mats and rocks burn tortoises. They need the heat from above. By heat light with no light do you mean ceramic heat emitter? CHE is a great option on a thermostat. Don't change that. Over the humid hide is perfect.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It looks pretty good. I have seen at a friends enclosure that they reduced air exchange by even sliding wadded paper between the overlap of two sliding doors. The point is your enclosure looks like it might be air leaky. Some foam gasket (thermo king at home depot) or even taped saran wrap around the hinged side so it is flexible and won't inhibit door movement might work. Your daily water change/feeding will allow enough active air exchange.

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
Dry is wrong. They will be pyramided without high humidity. Should be about 80 percent humidity. They hatch in the rainy season and spend all of their time in vegetation where it is humid in the wild. Thicker substrate will help. I would add 2 inches everywhere. Heat mats and rocks burn tortoises. They need the heat from above. By heat light with no light do you mean ceramic heat emitter? CHE is a great option on a thermostat. Don't change that. Over the humid hide is perfect.

Yes yes! It's a ceramic heat emitter. I'm so glad I have experts to ask. It puts my mind at ease.

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
It looks pretty good. I have seen at a friends enclosure that they reduced air exchange by even sliding wadded paper between the overlap of two sliding doors. The point is your enclosure looks like it might be air leaky. Some foam gasket (thermo king at home depot) or even taped saran wrap around the hinged side so it is flexible and won't inhibit door movement might work. Your daily water change/feeding will allow enough active air exchange.

Never thought about saran wrap!! I was thinking thin strips of Styrofoam insulation but plastic wrap sounds like an easier solution. Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

this is a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) and you can buy them in different wattages at pet stores (or online). It provides heat without light. the 100 watt has always done the job nicely for me.

Please forget all you've read about caring for baby sulcata tortoises - unless you've read it here. We have the most current information on our Forum. Some of our members are friends with a guy in Africa who studies them in the wild and has a very large tortoise preserve there. His name is something like Tomas diagne (?????). but he keeps us up to date on how to care for these precious little guys.