My birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I have birds too... 18 to be exact, lol. I have Ringneck doves, Diamond doves and Zebra finches. One of my pairs of doves recently gave me my first baby dove ever. The baby is 4 days old.

Being fed by dad

KristinasPictures3854.jpg

I love you, daddy!

KristinasPictures3859.jpg

KristinasPictures3860.jpg

There are SOOO many nests in the aviary, but the Diamonds seem to all want to pile into one, lol. I have 3 pairs total.

KristinasPictures3857.jpg

This one is molting, so he looks a bit scraggly.

KristinasPictures3855.jpg

And my finches... I have three pairs of these guys, as well. The little one in front with the black beak is the latest baby - he just left the nest, about 4 days ago. The one directly behind him is his older sister, and behind her, the dark grey pair are the parents. The one all the way in the back, that is lighter grey, is unrelated. His mate is all white. The dark grey pair so far has thrown all pied babies.

KristinasPictures3863.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Are those zebra finches in the last picture?? We had those when I was growing up...until my mom made us give them away because they were too loud :p

Pretty birds! Baby birds are cute in their own awkward scraggly little way ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, those are the Zebras ;) Both the doves and the finches came from a local lady that does bird rescue. My female doves are white, the males are both normal colored and silky. One female is silky, too. I don't know yet if the baby is going to be a silky or a super silky, I am not 100% sure which female laid the egg. All 4 took turns incubating, I removed the other pair when he hatched because I did not want them to get overzealous and knock him out of the nest.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Beautiful! I have zebras and diamond doves too. I also keep lovebirds, budgies, and cockatiels! :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I am owned by a parakeet named Tweets. He is awesome and I totally adore him. He is my first bird. I also have a flock of mourning doves that seem to live in my back yard. There are 10 of them. I also have a pair of scrub jays who are raising 2 babies in my yard...and I know next to nothing about birds!!! Yours are great, but that dove baby has a face only his mother could love...:p

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Wow these are so cool! The finches are realllly cute :)
Especially the one with the black beak.
The baby dove looks so funny, and big!
Love the pics

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I used to raise pigeons as a kid. I had rollers and homers. I don't mean any offense by the next sentence, but I gotta say that baby pigeons are probably the ugliest babies in the world. Cute in their own right, but downright scary in a lot of ways too. Love the pictures, they bring back fond memories of my first baby pigeons.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh your birds are so happy and very nice looking. I love (of course) the baby with his daddy. I had a pair of Cockatiels about 23 years ago and we they gave me one baby. My nephew named it "Big Bird". I love Cockatiels they're the watchdogs of birds. I'm curious what you cages are made out of? What kind of wood did you use and is that hardware cloth? :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks everyone ;) I agree the baby dove is a homely little squirt, all eyes and beak and legs. I am just happy to finally have my first baby dove. The smaller birds are more "flighty" and pretty much just to look at, but my big doves are hand tame and perfectly happy to come out and be carried around on a finger or shoulder.

I have one big aviary for the birds. It is 24 cubic foot. We built it out of pine, and sealed it with polyurethane. The front and back are both hardware cloth, and there is a large door on the front, and a smaller flip-up clean out door at the bottom of the front. There is a storage area at the bottom. All in all it is 3' X 2' X 6'. The perches are oak branches that were cut and seasoned, that someone let me cut out of their brush pile after I posted on Freecycle, lol. Being all different natural sizes it is better for their feet. I have a flight cage as well, but I don't have pics.

KristinasPictures052.jpg

KristinasPictures053.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Geez, Kristina, you have such meticulously-designed cages for your animals; it's clear you spend a ton of time planning and building these homes for your pets. What a great sanctuary your home is for all the lucky recipients of your ownership.

Your birds are beautiful. That baby dove is definitely unique-looking. Nice to know he is safe and protected there in his home. The doves we have had over the years in our yard seem always to make their nests in vulnerable spots and the nests themselves are loose and fragile. :(

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I love that cage, good job!. Birds are so much fun. I bet you have lots of cheery noise in your house.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks, both of you ;)

I need to get new pics of Baby Boy, he is out of the nest and will sit on my finger. In about another week he will look like a perfect smaller version of his parents. He is becoming "cuter" each day :) He still has a couple of bald patches.

I haven't seen the mom feed him at all, but the dad is a TREMENDOUS father. This bird is half in love with me, does a mating dance at me and everything, lol, but gets ANGRY when I touch his baby. He throws a fit the whole time I am holding the little squirt. I have had dad since he was 6 weeks old himself. Mom and my other white female were rescues I adopted. The finches all came from the local bird rescue as well.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Those are beautiful Birds. Birds have been my favorite pet.

I remember racing Pigeons in High School. I would have my Dad or anyone take the active racers when they left for a trip and we would time their return for when I came home from School. Amazing and gratified feeling watching them return after a 1000 mile flight.

I built a 20 X 4 X 7 Aviary for the Doves, and eventually built one for the Cockatiels

Status
Not open for further replies.