My black greek wont able to poop for 3days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi, guys Im really worried about my black greek tortoise. It wont able to poop for three straight days. He eats very good but wont move at all after eating. It seems like its less active then before. is there any way to make him poop. Please help me guys

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
cyyoung749 said:
Hi, guys Im really worried about my black greek tortoise. It wont able to poop for three straight days. He eats very good but wont move at all after eating. It seems like its less active then before. is there any way to make him poop. Please help me guys

Make sure he is warm enough and you can soak him in warm water for 15-20 mins-sometimes they defacate in water (often)
They have slow digestive systems so its not too much of a worry yet.
The warm soaks won't do any harm. I assume he gets lots of fibre in his diet?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How long have you had the tortoise and how often is it being watered (soaked)? What temperatures are you keeping it at day & night and what is the humidity level within the enclosure?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Tortoise said:
cyyoung749 said:

Make sure he is warm enough and you can soak him in warm water for 15-20 mins-sometimes they defacate in water (often)
They have slow digestive systems so its not too much of a worry yet.
The warm soaks won't do any harm. I assume he gets lots of fibre in his diet?

i feed him with spring mix, hay, cactus evertime i feed him. calcium and pellets ocasionally. when i soak it in warm water, whats the exact temperature?

GBtortoises said:
How long have you had the tortoise and how often is it being watered (soaked)? What temperatures are you keeping it at day & night and what is the humidity level within the enclosure?

I just got this black greek for about a month? i soak it every 2-3 days. the temperature for the hot area is about 86-89 degress with heat emitter and cold area is about 80 degress with wooden hut and hay. humidity is about 30-40. Im not sure about exact temperature for soaksing water. Please help!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The humidity is extremely low for just about any hatchling tortoise species and definitely for a Northern Mediterranean. Ambient humidity should be within the range of 50-65%, 55-60% being ideal. I spray all of my young tortoises, including Ibera, which yours probably is if it's being called a "Black Greek", twice daily and soak the entire substrate and churn it once a week. The substrate should be something that holds some moisture well but still holds it's form good enough for the tortoise to bury itself in but have good solid footing when walking on it. Many people use organic potting or top soil and mix other materials into it. I use a mix of about 60% organic soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground leaf litter & sphagnum moss at about 2-2.5" deep. The temperature directly under the basking light should be 90-105 degrees. For a small tortoise it is better to start out around 90-95 degrees and increase it if necessary. Baby tortoises have less body mass and dehydrate quicker under heat lights. If the tortoise is spending the majority of it's time under the basking light the ambient enclosure temperatures are too cool or the basking temperature is too cool. The ambient daytime temperature in the enclosure should be in the range of about 72-82 degrees for young tortoises. Slightly higher occasionally is fine. There should be about a 15-20 degree temperature differential between day and night time temperatures.
For baby tortoises constant excessive heat can actually be worse than cooler temperatures because they can so easily dehydrate.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I soak my Sulcata Cooper every other day for about 20-30 minutes and I change the water about 4 times to keep it warm. He will only poop while being soaked. I just make the water where it feels warm on my hand. If I was you I would soak him more often to try and get him to poop about every 2 days. I wish you luck!! Have a good day! :)

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
sometimes, it just like humans, not poop every single day..:)
as long as they are still active and eat the food, it's ok to me, cause they had a very slow disgetive systems..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he is eating well, give him some pumpkin.. do the warm water soaks.. not hot,, just warm.. wrmer then room temp tho.. and things should move along...

Status
Not open for further replies.